Features I would like to see added to Quicken/Mac

I have been using Quicken /Mac Premier 2019 for a little while after being a long time Windows user. I will still be using both in parallel for awhile, seeing if there are other things preventing my move to Mac, but so far I am encouraged - Quicken/Mac has come a long way in the last year! I cannot yet go to Mac due to some missing things.

I wanted to suggest a few things to add, if I am correct they are not currently available - these are things that so far I most miss from the Windows version:

1. Allow ROI in the Performance chart to go to hundredths - it only goes to tenths, ie 6.1%, while the Windows version goes to 6.11%. The quote prices go to hundredths, and the shares go to thousandths. It would be nice to have a little more accuracy in ROI. (this may be true of other calculations like IRR too).

2. Allow some user configuring on what screen Quicken/Mac opens to, like Windows. I like to open to the performance screen. I realize if I exit on that screen it will reopen there, but I have to remember to go back to that screen before I exit. 

3. Add "Lifetime Gain/Loss", in dollars, to the performance report.

4. Add Income dollars, lifetime, to the performance report.

5. I had customer reports set up in Windows where I was able to filter the data I needed through text entered in the Memo field. Alas, there is no Memo filter in the Mac reports! I can go back ad use Tags to do something similar, but that is requiring me to modify a lot of transactions. I would prefer that customer reports allow filtering by text in Memo field.

6. It would be nice to have some ability to make the Quicken Window text a little more compact - generally it has a lot of white space, and many things either require scrolling or I don't see that many transactions on the screen compared to Windows.

Thanks for considering these!
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    BTW, it will be FAR more effective if you split off each IDEA request into its own thread, or at least the ones that are not at all related to each other. This way the developers will see them and then can prioritize them better by seeing the votes that they garner over time as a measure of demand.

For example, although I can see 1,3 and 4 maybe staying together, 2, 5 and 6 would be better off separate.

That said, there is already an IDEA thread for 2.  You can add your VOTE to 
    Set starting location upon opening.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for User Interface Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

For 5, you can filter registers bad on the memo field as long as that field is added as a column. Of course, on reports, that filter does not exist. There is an IDEA thread to have this part of what used to be called Quick Reports in QM2007, which has been partially implemented in "modern" QMac. You can see the list of items still missing from "Quick Reports" listed here. You can add your VOTE to 
    Bring back Quick Reports.

Likewise, the Transaction Detail report still leaves much to be desired. Again, you can see the request for the Memo Field to be a filter for it here. You can add your VOTE to 
    Create Useful Category/Transaction Detail Report. 

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Report Types and the List of Requests for Report Related Features Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

Your VOTES matter!

As for 6, I am not sure if the following would address your concern but take a look at the following available since QM2015:
    Customizable Register Rows - You can now choose three sizes: Comfortable (default), Cozy or Compact. Go to View > Register Rows to try the new settings and see more rows in your registers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(STILL using QM2007, Canadian user since '92)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    #5: one of the concepts the developers used in building the new Mac product was thinking an efficient Search would replace the need for some reports. You can print a register without going to reports, so all you need to do it filter your register. Select the account, or account group, you want to include in your search in the left sidebar. Make the Memo/Notes column visible in the register if it is not. Set a date range filter if you wish. Now use the Search box to search for whatever text you want. Then Print the resulting register, and you have a report filtered by Memo/Notes.

(Yes, there are drawbacks, such as not being able to save this filter to repeat the report in the future. But in many cases, this may fill the need you expressed in #5.

And @smayer97 gave you the way to getting more on the screen, your #6. There are actually four compactness settings now; use "Tiny" to get the rows as close together as possible. I find it quite readable, and use it for all my registers.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Don AwaltDon Awalt Member
    edited January 27

BTW, it will be FAR more effective if you split off each IDEA request into its own thread, or at least the ones that are not at all related to each other. This way the developers will see them and then can prioritize them better by seeing the votes that they garner over time as a measure of demand.

For example, although I can see 1,3 and 4 maybe staying together, 2, 5 and 6 would be better off separate.

That said, there is already an IDEA thread for 2.  You can add your VOTE to 
    Set starting location upon opening.

List of Requests for User Interface Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

For 5, you can filter registers bad on the memo field as long as that field is added as a column. Of course, on reports, that filter does not exist. There is an IDEA thread to have this part of what used to be called Quick Reports in QM2007, which has been partially implemented in "modern" QMac. You can see the list of items still missing from "Quick Reports" listed here. You can add your VOTE to 
    Bring back Quick Reports.

Likewise, the Transaction Detail report still leaves much to be desired. Again, you can see the request for the Memo Field to be a filter for it here. You can add your VOTE to 
    Create Useful Category/Transaction Detail Report. 

List of Requests for Report Types and the List of Requests for Report Related Features Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

Your VOTES matter!

As for 6, I am not sure if the following would address your concern but take a look at the following available since QM2015:
    Customizable Register Rows - You can now choose three sizes: Comfortable (default), Cozy or Compact. Go to View > Register Rows to try the new settings and see more rows in your registers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I was thinking that I might be able to filter the transactions pretty easily, your post showed me how - I rather easily added a Tag to my transactions based on Memo Field value! And The View/Register Rows at least made the pace better in registers, thanks for that too. I'll go vote now!
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    jacobs said:

#5: one of the concepts the developers used in building the new Mac product was thinking an efficient Search would replace the need for some reports. You can print a register without going to reports, so all you need to do it filter your register. Select the account, or account group, you want to include in your search in the left sidebar. Make the Memo/Notes column visible in the register if it is not. Set a date range filter if you wish. Now use the Search box to search for whatever text you want. Then Print the resulting register, and you have a report filtered by Memo/Notes.

(Yes, there are drawbacks, such as not being able to save this filter to repeat the report in the future. But in many cases, this may fill the need you expressed in #5.

And @smayer97 gave you the way to getting more on the screen, your #6. There are actually four compactness settings now; use "Tiny" to get the rows as close together as possible. I find it quite readable, and use it for all my registers.

Of course, one of the biggest drawbacks of using the register filters is not being able to only show the applicable split lines that meet the filter criteria, and therefore the associated total.

Also, you can add your VOTE to Ability to Set Default Columns, Sort and Sizes to Account Registers.

List of Requests for User Interface Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(STILL using QM2007, Canadian user since '92)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • kris5kris5 Member
    Really, what's the usefulness of an itemized register (with specific Category & Date filters) if all the SPLIT transactions don't remove the Categories that are not specified? The totals are all wrong...not helpful at all.