renaming rules settings for downloaded credit card

Quicken 2019, R17.6 running on Windows 10.  Renaming rules do not work for downloaded transactions from my credit card using Express Web Connect.  Renaming rules do work for downloads from the same credit union for checking account transactions.  Since renaming rules based on the memo field work for the checking downloads but not the credit card downloads, is there a bug in Quicken or some specific setting that needs to be set for the Quicken credit card account? Online support wasn't able to correct the problem, implying there was a file corruption problem.  However Validate indicates the Quicken file is fine.

Any help or pointers is appreciated.  I have been using Quicken for about 20 years but am frustrated is some of the quirky behaviors in the application.

Thanks.

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26
    Is there a difference between how you download and accept transactions in your credit card account register vs. the checking account? For example, do you auto-accept most credit card transactions as new vs. using mostly scheduled reminders and/or manually recorded transactions in the checking account?

AFAIK, and unless the programmers haven't made changes that I'm not aware of ... Renaming Rules always work on a concatenation (combination) of Downloaded Payee Name and Memo field. How well these rules work depends on what the downloaded information contains.
    Can you provide some specific examples on where things don't work?
  • LL Member
    edited January 27
    Hi UKR, thanks for your prompt reply.  No there really isn't a difference in how I download and accept the credit card vs the checking account transactions.  The downloads are done via Express Web Connect at the same credit union.  Renaming rules applied to the checking downloads usually are against transactions paid with a debit card, and the transaction only shows the name of the business in the memo field.  Similarly the downloaded credit card transactions only have the name of the business in the memo field and just show a generic name, e.g. Purchase, in the payee field. I haven't specifically changed how renaming of downloads works in the preferences menu.

Thanks for any pointers.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26
    L said:

Hi UKR, thanks for your prompt reply.  No there really isn't a difference in how I download and accept the credit card vs the checking account transactions.  The downloads are done via Express Web Connect at the same credit union.  Renaming rules applied to the checking downloads usually are against transactions paid with a debit card, and the transaction only shows the name of the business in the memo field.  Similarly the downloaded credit card transactions only have the name of the business in the memo field and just show a generic name, e.g. Purchase, in the payee field. I haven't specifically changed how renaming of downloads works in the preferences menu.

Thanks for any pointers.

It sounds as if the CU is not following proper protocol for the data download.  Payee field should always be populated with the actual payee, however cryptic that may be.  Then the renaming rules would clean that up to what you want to see.

Quicken can only rename based on Payee, not memo.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1809
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    L said:

Thanks for any pointers.

From C. D. Bales:

@GeoffG

From Quicken Help:

"When you download new transactions, Quicken searches the combined text of the downloaded Payee and Memo fields for the text you enter ...."

"A match occurs, and the downloaded payee is renamed, if the text you enter appears in the same order, and not as a substring, somewhere within the combined fields. Examples: Parker matches Parker Supplies; Parker does not match ParkerSupplies; Parker Supplies matches Parker Supplies Company; Parker Supplies does not match Supplies by Parker Company".

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    L said:

Thanks for any pointers.

From C. D. Bales:

@L

If you're not already doing so, try making sure that none of the accounts you're downloading to are open in Quicken during the download.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    L said:

Thanks for any pointers.

So then why in the Renaming Rules drop down only payee is available?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1809
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited January 27
    L said:

Thanks for any pointers.

From my experience, the payee and memo fields are populated differently between debit and credit card transactions.  Even when I use my debit card, the descriptive information will be different depending on whether I put it through as debit or credit with the same merchant.

So I have multiple conditions in each rule to get the Payee name that I want.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.