Target REDcard download - payee problem

Recently, Target Redcard updated their website. I had to recreate the download connection (Express Web Connect).

Since then, the Payee field of each transaction is losing a bunch of the leading characters. In other words, what is usually the most important part of the name (the name itself) is missing.

For example, the old downloaded payee was something like this:
       "MyGrocery              MyTown nnnn                  MyTown,CA"

But now, this is what I get:
      "nn                  MyTown,CA"

So I must log into the website, and manually look up and enter each payee. What a pain!

Using Quicken Premier for Windows, 2019 r14.27
Windows 10 (home)

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I thought Target RedCards could only be used at Target, so why isn't the payee always Target, doesn't seem like a need to look at the website to find that out.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sandi SpiresSandi Spires Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    splasher said:

I thought Target RedCards could only be used at Target, so why isn't the payee always Target, doesn't seem like a need to look at the website to find that out.

You thought wrong. It is a normal Mastercard.
    edited October 2018
    splasher said:

That is new info for me, thanks for the correction.

If you look in the OFXlog file (Help menu), what is shown as being downloaded?  Is Quicken messing up a good feed or is the feed messed up to begin with?

Save the log to a text file and view it using Notepad, new stuff is at bottom, so search up from there for an amount to find a transaction.

edited October 2018
    Checking OFXlog, found text that looks like the bogus/truncated (what is the opposite end of truncated?) payee text. So I assume this puts Target in the wrong on the transmission.

<CHECKNUM>255360682621
    <NAME>S SUNNYVAL       SUNNYVALE    CA
    </STMTTRN>

Would appreciate suggestions of how to report this to someone who could correct the problem.

thanks,

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Checking OFXlog, found text that looks like the bogus/truncated (what is the opposite end of truncated?) payee text. So I assume this puts Target in the wrong on the transmission.

<CHECKNUM>255360682621
    <NAME>S SUNNYVAL       SUNNYVALE    CA
    </STMTTRN>

Would appreciate suggestions of how to report this to someone who could correct the problem.

thanks,

I have never seen a straightforward answer to that question.

The best I can suggest is contacting Quicken support and see if you can get them to escalate the problem to the right group.
    http://quicken.com/contact-support

Given that this is Express Web Connect this is a "agreement" between the financial institution and Intuit (which provides the service to Quicken Inc) as to how to transfer the data.  There is no way for the user to know if the problem with the financial institution or Intuit's servers.  Only they can determine what is needed to fix such a problem.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sandi,
    thank you for providing an example of what was downloaded.
    Could I trouble you to also provide a screen snapshot of what this transaction looks like on the Target website? Is there a correct Payee Name (store name)? Or what does it show?
    The guys at Quicken (or Intuit) who maintain the screen-scraping script might be looking at the wrong place to capture the Payee Name correctly because Target neglected to inform them of the recent website update.
    As QPW said, please contact Support and have this issue escalated to the proper support group

Can

you please capture one or more images of parts of your Target webpage

showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect

your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s)

here?
    The

Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture

a partial screen image and save it to a file. 

Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text

entry window on the webpage you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U

S
    Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select

and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will

be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.
    edited October 2018
    No problem, here is the exact transaction onscreen matching the snippet from the log above. By the way, it has always been true that the downloaded words are separated by more spaces (as my examples above) than appears on the screen.

edited October 2018

No problem, here is the exact transaction onscreen matching the snippet from the log above. By the way, it has always been true that the downloaded words are separated by more spaces (as my examples above) than appears on the screen.

Looks like the apostrophe is messing up the data feed.

Looks like as QPW suggested, contacting Quicken Support is what needs to be done.

edited October 2018

It is happening to all of them, so not sure if it is the apostrophe, but is possible.

I'm online w/ tech support now.
    edited October 2018
    Not the apostrophe. Appears Target Bank is in error. Sadly, Quicken takes no responsibility toward notifying banks if their info is in error.

edited October 2018

Not the apostrophe. Appears Target Bank is in error. Sadly, Quicken takes no responsibility toward notifying banks if their info is in error.

I have pointed out this response from support to the moderators to see if that really is the Quicken corporate position or just a lazy tech support.

edited October 2018

After spending a long time w/ tech support trying different things to
    demonstrate the problem (which is exactly as demonstrated here), he
    concluded "it isn't our software problem" so nothing we can do. "You
    must contact the bank's online department as credit customer service
    will not know anything about it".

Frustrating, since I have no way to make that contact. Surely Quicken does know its partners and could send a note!
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

If you select Tools -> Online Center -> select the financial institution -> Contact Info

That should give you the right number to call.
  • dj30215dj30215 Member
    edited January 25
    I posted the same issue a few days ago.  (Just search for redcard)  I have also discovered that this is most likely a Target issue, not a quicken issue.  Check out my other post.  Best thing to do is to some how notify Target of the issue.  I have and will post Targets response.

edited January 25
    Yes, I tried messaging Target (secure message from my redcard login), but just got a canned response about how to connect to quicken. Message asking to put me in touch w/ someone in tech support didn't even get a response. Sad, because previously the customer service has been really good!

This discussion has been closed.