Cannot Download Transactions from Chase Bank

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, doing the same thing is one way.  Monitoring this forum is another, as is bugging Chase to get their act together.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Monitoring the this forum seems to be the better solution.  I will also bug chase.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community and I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration experienced. 

This issue has been reported to our Service Providers who are working with Chase Bank to resolve.

If you are still unable to import transactions with Chase Bank, please allow up to 48 hours and attempt to import the file once again.

Some Users have also been able to workaround this issue by following the steps found at: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7847687/unable-to-import-chase-credit-card-qfx.

Thank you,

Sarah
    Expect Chase to claim that it's a Quicken problem, not theirs.  Banks always lie about the Quicken problems that THEY have caused. 
    Just keep bugging them, and be sure that you're transferred to Online Support at Chase.
  • Ever since the R18.14 update my Chase credit card transactions (two accounts) will not appear in the account registers upon download.  Using Quicken Web Connect from the Chase website (which is the way I've downloaded from Chase without any problems previously), Chase generates a .QFX file but no new transactions now appear in my accounts.  How can I fix this?
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you considered using Direct Connect with Chase. It's free and far more reliable.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chase appears to be generating bad QFX files at this time.  As Chase also supports downloading transactions for free using the Direct Connect connection method, you may want to consider using this connection method instead.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Thanks for the suggestions.  I did try setting up Direct Connect; however it resulted in two new credit card accounts being generated and downloaded in Quicken (one for each of my two credit card accounts).  So I restored my backup file in order to get back to where I was.  I was hoping to have a fix for this problem without generating two new accounts that duplicate my previous Chase credit card accounts.  
    venue1 said:
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I did try setting up Direct Connect; however it resulted in two new credit card accounts being generated and downloaded in Quicken (one for each of my two credit card accounts).  So I restored my backup file in order to get back to where I was.  I was hoping to have a fix for this problem without generating two new accounts that duplicate my previous Chase credit card accounts.  
    It appears you did not link the account(s) Quicken found at the financial institution to the existing register(s).
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Thanks, I’ll try to set up Direct Connect again, this time linking to my existing accounts. 
  • jduale51jduale51 Member ✭✭
    For the  last few days I've used both methods. Neither one works. Just moments ago I tried the Direct Connect received an error: cc-501. 
    edited February 4
    jduale51 said:
    For the  last few days I've used both methods. Neither one works. Just moments ago I tried the Direct Connect received an error: cc-501. 
    The Direct Connect connection method should not return the cc-501 error.  I suspect you have unintentionally enabled the Express Web Connect connection method.   If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • jamesjames Member
    I was asked to assist someone yesterday that was experiencing problems in their Chase downloads, this seems to describe the problem. Then I too (today) tried my Chase acct and did indeed have this issue. Looking at the downloaded file (.XML) it appears there are transactions there that are not being recognized by Quicken, although it seems the account balance 
    <AVAILBAL>
    <BALAMT>xxxxx.xx
    <DTASOF>20190204120000
    </AVAILBAL>
    is correct. The reconcile shows the correct acct balance.  
    You might look at your OFX log to identify which transactions are not read. 

I will try the recovery method described about. 
  • Looks like the previous discussion was closed.
    This concerns the errors when downloading the Chase QFX files (they have data but won't import)
    The problem started around 1/31/2019.

I contacted Chase today and they admitted they had a problem and were working on it.

RolandoZ had an excellent work around in the previous discussion string. It worked for me.
    To repeat his fix:
    1. Open the downloaded QFX file with a simple text editor app.
    2. Find all the Text entries that are <FITID>
    3. Change the text "NONE" immediately after <FITID>  to a random number (like "0001")
    4. Find all the other occurrences of <FITID> and change the   "NONE" to the next sequential number ("0002", "0003", ..., etc)
    4. Save the file and then open with Quicken as you would normally.

A couple of tips:
    1. If you are a windows user, open the QFX with WORDPAD (not Notepad or Word). you can search and replace the "NONE"s more easily than Notepad .Word will try to insert formatting in the file before you save it.
    2. After (if) Chase fixes this, you should to manually check for duplicate entries. As RolandoZ said, Quicken uses the <FITID> to make the transactions unique.

Good Luck!

• Do you have to go through Chase to set up Direct Connect?
    Yes and no. You start in Quicken. Go to the Account List and you should see Improve Connection. Clicking it will launch a process to configure Direct Connect. This process will not be complete as you now need to go to Chase.com and authorize the connection. It a message on their site, not always easy to spot. Once you've OK'd it, go back to Quicken to complete.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • QFX failing with Chase credit card download using Quicken 2017 Deluxe. I verified that QFX file had proper information butt Quicken opens the file, but does not process the information. No error messages.
    Chase appears to be generating bad QFX files at this time.  As Chase also supports downloading transactions for free using the Direct Connect connection method, you may want to consider using this connection method instead.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Just called Chase Technical ONline banking and the phone representative will put in a ticket about the non-unique FITID problem on .qfx downloads
    maybe everyone on this chat is a techie but I am not - I am experiencing the same issue but have no idea how to manually change the FITID to a unique number. Any suggestions for a non-techie?  
    No need to be a techie, review this post for using Direct Connect with Chase credit card. Accessing and updating does not get any simpler.
  • One tip relating to RolandoZ's excellent workaround above:
    Windows users may find it useful to edit the QFX file with WordPad. You can use search and replace to replace the "None"s. Word tries to put formatting in the file when it is saved back.

• My last download was on 1/26 and it worked fine. Now, when I download credit card QFX, the file downloads fine but it is empty even though there are many transactions I can see on the website. Tried usual Quicken Web Connect (QFX) file. Tried the usual All Transactions i do, but also tried custom date range, and since last statement - one of them gave me ONE transaction and it was one I had already downloaded on 1/26. Others it gave none.

Seems the download menu on Chase does look slightly different now, so I suspect they made a small code change and Quicken is not handling it correctly.

Running Q 2017 on Windows. Any help? I see other threads on this topic but none have an actual answer to fix it. Help!!!

Accepted Answer
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • I confirmed that the problem is that the FITID field on the downloads from Cahse is assigned to "None".  I opened the .qfx filed in Workpad and did a replace all "<FITID>none" with a "<FITID>{number for a 2018 download}.  Then used FIND <FITIF> and increased the FITID number by 1 for each sequential transaction.  Then saved the file as .qfx.  The modified .qfx with the bogus FITID numbers imported the data into my Quicken 2017
  • Thanks Sherlock - the Direct Connect method seems to have fixed the issue! I wasn't using Direct Connect because, at least at one time, Chase started charging for it so I removed it from One Step Update. Looks like they changed policy, and now it works AND is easier. I appreciate the help!
    Chase doesn't charge for downloads from PERSONAL credit card accounts using Direct Connect.
    They MAY, depending upon other factors, charge for downloading from checking or savings accounts.
    And they DO charge for downloading from business accounts.
  • My downloaded bank transactions were missing about 1 1 /2 months worth of transactions so I downloaded a QFX file (WebConnect) but my Quicken 2019 won't accept it.  Normally a screen opens and you can direct the downloaded files to a specific account.  What's happening?  The most current transactions downloaded automatically without a problem so the account is being accepted.  I tried this with my other bank and it only worked with QIF files, not QFX but there are non with Chase.
    Chase appears to be generating bad QFX files at this time.  As Chase also supports downloading transactions for free using the Direct Connect connection method for Chase Sapphire Checking, Chase Private Client Checking and Private Banking customers,  you may want to consider using this connection method instead.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    Chase has screwed up the WebConnect process of download.  There are MANY threads on this forum about the problem.  Q is working with Chase to get things straightened out.
    BUT, if this is a personal card account (as defined by Chase) you can switch to Direct Connect, which works correctly and is free.
This discussion has been closed.