Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Quicken Errors

I have several accounts with a bank, and I notice more and more transactions will be posted into the wrong accounts, they will not clear, and if I try to correct the transaction in one account it will screw up another account. This is happening so often I have a transaction category I call Quicken error. I don't dare try and ask for help from the support, the last time I did I ended up with 4 extra accounts and all the other accounts the balance were all over the place. I had to delete Quicken and reinstall with my backups. How many other people are getting transactions put into the incorrect accounts and how are you handling them?

Answers

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you are experiencing is unusual and should not happen. So we get a better understanding:
    • what version of Quicken?
    • who is the bank/CU?
    • what type of connection method used?
    • how many accounts?
    • are all accounts impacted or just one/two?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 2004
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, do you use Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • GeoffG

Using  Quicken year 2019 Ver. R17.6, Build 27.1.17.6. The bank I use on the affected accounts is Key Bank. I have one checking, two savings, and two M/C with this branch. Just within the last 30 days, I have several transactions that should have registered to my M/C account that went into a savings account. If I move a transaction to the correct account it will change the account balances in both accounts. I had one incidence within the last 30 days where I move money from  a savings account to pay an M/C balance and I had a transfer and a deposit recorded in the savings account.
    OK, that info helps, but I'm still not clear quite what's going on. Can you take a snapshot of the Account List, like the one below:
    I need to see how your accounts are setup.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 2004
  • This is a screenshot of the accounts
    I'm curious why the accounts don't show EWC accept for the High Yield account. I'm assuming that is also with Key bank. Have you tried clicking Improve connection? You should see EWC for all Key bank accounts.
    If the dialog talks about using Direct Connect and there may be additional charges, then don't proceed.
  • LundyLundy Member
    edited February 2019
    I have similar problems. Here is a list of examples;
    1. Quicken will label ATM deposits that I make at an ATM machine, as coming from Royal Spas. No idea why this happens.
    2. Sometimes Quicken will assign a category to a transaction that will impact other accounts in my account list. For instance, a transaction for a credit card charge will be categorized as my checking account. So it shows up on both my credit card account and as a charge to my checking account. Which is not correct. It should only be shown on the credit card account. 
    3. Sometimes Quicken will not download all the transactions from Chase bank into my credit card account. I had to enter a few manually today. 
    4. I, too, have created a category called Quicken errors. 

I have had this problem with both Quicken Deluxe 2016 and now Deluxe 2019. I use a windows laptop computer. 
    Quicken Deluxe 2019 for Windows
    @Lundy Anytime you have categories that are misapplied, it's the direct result of bad Memorized Payees or bad Renaming Rules. I would look into both to identify the problem.  Also, setting up a "Quicken errors" category is only covering up reconciliation errors that will only get resolved when you figure out what's missing.
    I've never had missing Chase CC transactions, but I do get missing PNC CC transactions from time to time(weekly). Just need to manually enter as needed.
  • LundyLundy Member
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Geoff, I just found the renaming rules today and deleted them all. 
    What is a PNC CC transaction? I assume CC = credit card, but what is PNC? Is that PNC Bank? 
    My Quicken has many memorized payees/categories, I'll try to find that list to edit. 
    Quicken Deluxe 2019 for Windows
    PNC is my bank, still don't know what the acronym stands for. :/ You'll find the Memorized Payee List by going to Tools>Memorized Payee List. Renaming Rules is just above.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "PNC is my bank, still don't know what the acronym stands for."

Pittsburgh National Corporation, formerly known as Pittsburgh National Bank.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Geoff

I have checked into the "Improve connection" and Key bank was another $ 20.00 per month for this and I can only connect 12 times a month or I pay extra for each time I go over the limit, so for me, it's not worth it. I did try the clearing of the renaming rules about 7 months ago, and Quicken was even more confused, and mistake prone. 
    Yes the improve connection using Direct Connect is becoming fee based for nearly all banks now. This does NOT include credit cards - most credit cards using DC are free.
    When I reviewed the listing for Key bank, it said they do use Express Web Connect (EWC) this is/should be free and worth checking with them.