Year end copy for Quicken for Mac (64 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser
    edited September 2017
    Marc said:

20 year Quicken user. For about 10 different reasons I just don’t want a lot of old data hanging around to complicate things. I just want to keep things simple and delete old, irrelevant data.

Perhaps the real reason the Project Manager is insisting on keeping old data in a file that is never purged is so when it is all in Quickens cloud the data can be “mined” ala Google.

I don’t deal with Google for that reason and that is reason enough to quit Quicken.

Actually the Quicken Cloud only syncs the last 2 years of transactions plus new transactions. All is cleared and reduced to last 2 yrs if you reset and resync. So this is not the reason.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(STILL using QM2007, Canadian user since '92)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • edited January 3
    jacobs said:

For what it's worth, I have 20+ years of data in my Quicken Mac data file, and the size is mostly not a problem. (Launch speed and a few searches are slower than blazing fast, but tolerable.) I love having all my financial history in one file and being able to search across all my data in one place.

There may be users who have many more accounts, transactions and data than I do, but there are many longtime Quicken Mac users here who have written on other threads that they, too, have no problem with having all their historic data in one file. It may be worth noting that the Quicken Mac database is more modern and robust than the databases used for legacy versions of Quicken Mac and, I believe, Quicken Windows.

You could try to do this manually unless/until such a feature is added: 

• Make a copy of your Quicken data file.
    • Select Banking in the left sidebar.
    • Select a filter for the date range you wish to delete. (I can't imagine deleting 2016 transactions for the start of 2017, because you'd lose all that data to power comparison reports and budgets, buy you could delete previous years.)
    • Select All transactions in the displayed register.
    • Press Delete.
    The problem that this entails is with transactions that transfer to other accounts, like investments. You may need to exclude those from being deleted to avoid messing up your investment or property & debt accounts. This doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but if you're desperate to shrink the size of your file, this might be a stop-gap approach.
    OK, so I would like to create a fresh set of accounts for 2018.  I am using Quicken for MAC.  I was a windows user for a time and now I am back on Mac.  I have been using quicken since it inception in the 80's.  I usually like a file for each year starting fresh with uncleared transactions for the new year.  I have not done that since I went back to MAC a few years ago and now my file is a little unmanageable. So, I see that windows has a nice feature that makes it very simple to make a year end copy.  Please, Please. put a step by step example up so I can do this on my MAC - I'm getting old and I could use a nice little handy dandy quick reference.  Thank you so much!
  • EricEric Member
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2018 for MAC. END OF YEAR.

I have purchased 2018 Quicken for my MAC. I'm seeing all of 2017 and now 2018 transactions. How do I do END of Year to clear 2017? With windows, old computer, I could just hit End of Year report and it would clear all of the past years and start fresh with the new year.
  • Tommy DeWeeseTommy DeWeese Member
    edited January 2018
    If you research the history of this question you will find:

1. Quicken for Mac does not have this feature.

2. Most Quicken for Mac users agree it is not needed.

3. Quicken developers do not see this as a needed update.

4. Like many of us who have migrated from Windows we just feel better when Quicken for Mac acts like Quicken for Windows.

The reality is they are two very different programs that will probably never be just alike. I actually had a lot of problems with the year end copy feature of Quicken for Windows and I have had not had any problems with Quicken for Mac not having it.
  • EricEric Member
    edited January 2018

4. Like many of us who have migrated from Windows we just feel better when Quicken for Mac acts like Quicken for Windows.

The reality is they are two very different programs that will probably never be just alike. I actually had a lot of problems with the year end copy feature of Quicken for Windows and I have had not had any problems with Quicken for Mac not having it.

Thats a bummer. Ive never had a problem with the End of Year. I don't like seeing 2017 transactions. When you do a quick search it always puts you at the very top of the previous year. You then have to scroll all the way back down to get to the current day.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser
    edited January 2018

When you get used to the Quicken Mac interface, you'll find it's pretty easy to filter transaction windows and customize reports to see just transactions from the current year, if that's your desire.

Yes, it may be different than what you're used to, but don't assume it's worse. And for the times where you want to look up an older transaction, compare with prior years, etc., you have all your data in one place rather than across multiple files.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited January 14
    I suggest that a more versatile version of this same feature be requested...see Add "Save a Copy" feature (similar to "Year End Copy").

If you agree, First, click on the underlined link to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• rph9rph9 Member
    edited January 3

Doug, if you do make the switch to Quicken for Mac, let us know if you find your data file too sluggish to work with even with many years of data. We do want to bring lots of the features of Quicken Windows to the Mac that continue to make sense. We don't want to bring over the features that were only there to work around issues from a previous era. I'm hoping this is one of those but let us know if you run into issues.

My Quicken data file is > 1GB. My use of Quicken goes back to the 80's DOS days. I converted to Mac about 10 years ago. I LOVE the current version of the Mac software, but really miss cutting off the data from 5 years ago every year and keeping it in a separate QDF file for possible future reference. The Windows version allows this, preserving the investment data. I would REALLY like to see this feature included in the Mac software. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • rph9rph9 Member
    edited May 2018
    Pilotbum said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Separate Idea.

I'd like to see a way to integrate multiple data files into one session of Quicken. For example, I've been a quicken user since 1992. At one point in time to keep my data file at a smaller size (at the recommendation of a quicken help adviser) I would do a year end copy of my quicken and keep each year in a singular file and keep my current file only going back 3-5 years for reporting & budgeting reasons. However, one of the things I like about using quicken is being able to track my progress and successes over a much larger span of time, i.e., back to when I first started using Quicken. 

Why can't quicken automatically break data files up into smaller subsets such as by fiscal year and have the ability for the software to open or use multiple files for reporting purposes the way other database programs do?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: List of Requests for Data and File Management Features.

Granted, Quicken for Mac IS able to handle larger data files than my original DOS versions or even earlier Windows versions, but I really don't want or need all my credit card charges from 25 years ago available now. If this could be programmed into the Windows version I don't understand why the Mac version can't support this feature for those of us who want it. If a user really wants data all the way back he/she can just never archive. I have dozens of bank accounts and 7 investment accounts, not to mention old credit card accounts from over a decade ago.
  • rph9rph9 Member
    edited May 2018
    gmalis1 said:

At one point in time to keep my data file at a smaller size (at the recommendation of a quicken help adviser)

Unless your Quicken data file is unwieldly large...NO ONE in this forum who is a Quicken "power user" would recommend that you split up your data file.

And the reason is what you have already pointed out...you can't open multiple files to retrieve info, make comparisons etc.

I have been using Quicken since the mid 1980's.  I have one data file.  Never did a Year End Copy, or split the file using Copy and specifying what dates I wanted in that copy.

I don't think this is a feature Quicken needs.

Just don't do a Year End Copy and you'd have been just fine.  

And your Quicken help adviser was just plain wrong to suggest what you wound up doing.  

But how many accounts are you tracking? I've got > 15 and the size of the data file is crazy. If they interoduced this feature you just wouldn't have to archive. No change, everybody happy.
    edited May 2018

Doug, if you do make the switch to Quicken for Mac, let us know if you find your data file too sluggish to work with even with many years of data. We do want to bring lots of the features of Quicken Windows to the Mac that continue to make sense. We don't want to bring over the features that were only there to work around issues from a previous era. I'm hoping this is one of those but let us know if you run into issues.

Yes, there are still use cases where this feature is still valid and useful. Especially with large files. Imagine having to create multiple backup files using Automated Backup... much slower and takes up lots of extra unnecessary space. 

• Thomas QueenThomas Queen Member
    edited June 2018
    The purpose behind my desire to have an end of year is two fold.  I have had my file for over 20 years as a windows user and now a mac user.  I need to down size my file and doing it every 5 years you still have a sizable data package with historical and current data for budgeting.  As a home user there is no need to have more than 5 years and maybe even 3 years of historical data to research.  Quicken is a home user product and not every average person cares pass 2 years of where i spent my money.  

Infact, you really don't need a data file larger than 7-10 years for any IRS purposes.  Anything prior would be saved to Data directory for prior years and can be open if needed.  

So Quicken really needs to step up and add this feature to the next update.  Lets quit this you have to keep your data and be forced to do so.  We are grown adults and can be responsible for our own financial storage needs.  We just need your software to help with planning and reconciliations. 
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser
    edited January 3

The purpose behind my desire to have an end of year is two fold.  I have had my file for over 20 years as a windows user and now a mac user.  I need to down size my file and doing it every 5 years you still have a sizable data package with historical and current data for budgeting.  As a home user there is no need to have more than 5 years and maybe even 3 years of historical data to research.  Quicken is a home user product and not every average person cares pass 2 years of where i spent my money.  

Infact, you really don't need a data file larger than 7-10 years for any IRS purposes.  Anything prior would be saved to Data directory for prior years and can be open if needed.  

So Quicken really needs to step up and add this feature to the next update.  Lets quit this you have to keep your data and be forced to do so.  We are grown adults and can be responsible for our own financial storage needs.  We just need your software to help with planning and reconciliations. 

Thomas, one of the fascinating things about Quicken is all the different ways we users use it. You want it should to have recent history to be used for reconciliations and future planning.

I personally love having decades of historical data. I don't reach back far all the time, but I like having my history at my fingertips. For example, I just had a problem with my hot water heater. The first question I had was, how old is it? I could have found it in a paper file I keep, but I was able to answer the question in 10 seconds on Quicken. Sometimes my wife and I wonder something like when was the first/last time we visited a restaurant or hotel; I sometimes want to know how long I've been subscribing to a magazine, and how much I've pad for previous renewals; and so on. Having all that information readily available in my Quicken data file is useful to me.

That said, I understand why my usage isn't what others may want or need, so I'm not arguing against your wish for this functionality.

From some comments from the product manager over time, I think the Mac developers originally felt that such a feature wasn't needed because the modern SQL database that powers Quicken can grow pretty much unlimited without the instability that characterized older Mac and Windows databases, and without much of a performance hit. By making it easy to filter both registers and reports for whatever date range a user wants, I think they felt they had made it easy to use for only recent information, while having older information readily available on demand. And they felt that most users who were looking for such a feature were doing so mainly because they were in the habit of trimming their files because it had been a real necessary on older versions of Quicken. But those who feel there's a legitimate need to pare their data should click on the blue Vote button at the top left of this page to help the developers as they prioritize what features to add in the future.
  • Diane ClawsonDiane Clawson Member
    edited January 3
    Quit trying to talk us out of a feature that we want. Archiving a past year should be available for all users, even if it isn't standard practice for some. If that's what we want, put the archive feature in. Easy!
    edited December 2018

Quit trying to talk us out of a feature that we want. Archiving a past year should be available for all users, even if it isn't standard practice for some. If that's what we want, put the archive feature in. Easy!

I may not be interested in this feature but I do know there are several valid use cases for this feature. And clearly, there is a fair bit of interest in this feature.

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser
    edited December 2018

Diane, I explained why I didn't find it necessary, and also why I believed the developers hadn't built this functionality in originally. I'm sorry if you took any offense at that, because I also wrote, unequivocally: "I understand why my usage isn't what others may want or need, so I'm not arguing against your wish for this functionality."
  • edited January 3

Yes, Quicken for Mac developers, please give us the Year-End copy functionality just like the PC version of Quicken has.  I used this feature every couple of years when I had the PC version of Quicken to speed up file backups and reduce the number of transactions that would show up in searches, for examples.  I seriously don't understand why we have to beg for this. Sometimes I regret my switch to the Mac world... - Quicken User for 23 years.
  • Jason HayesJason Hayes Member
    edited January 9

I want a year end copy function. I use different categories from one year to a next depending on what is practical based on the accounts I use.
  • Pat SorensenPat Sorensen Member
    edited January 9

I can deal with no end of the year copy but I would like to be able to lock previous years so I don't accidentally mess them up in future years.
  • Elma SmithElma Smith Member
    edited January 3

Considering cost/benefit ratio, looks like person-hours required for Q-M to add this feature pales compared to hundreds (more?) user hours struggling with work-arounds. Then again, harking back to the beginning of personal computing (Lotus, Word Perfect, Autocad, Dbase) , we'd spend 100 hours learning new software before saving our first hour over "hand" methods. We began with Quicken Windows for personal finances ~1990, switched to Mac ~2007, back to Windows ~2015 (big mistake), now Q-M 2018.  As all us dinosaurs found out (or didn't!), change or die!

That said, don't knock sticking with valid habits!  Human life span is limited!  How much energy must we put into new solutions to what used to be simple problems?
    edited January 9

BTW, don't forget to click VOTE at the top of the page to make yours count ;-)

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• YjacketsYjackets Member
    edited January 9
    This is an absolutely necessary feature.  I switched from Q for Windows to Q for Mac.  Q for Windows has always had the year-end archive.  Why wouldn't Mac users need/want the same thing?  We do.  The help desk suggested that I make a copy and delete all of the transactions from prior years that I no longer wanted to see.  Well that changes all of the balances so that idea is worthless.

• splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited January 5
    Yjackets said:

This is an absolutely necessary feature.  I switched from Q for Windows to Q for Mac.  Q for Windows has always had the year-end archive.  Why wouldn't Mac users need/want the same thing?  We do.  The help desk suggested that I make a copy and delete all of the transactions from prior years that I no longer wanted to see.  Well that changes all of the balances so that idea is worthless.

Well that changes all of the balances so that idea is worthless
    Only because they failed to tell you, as the last step in the process, to modify the Opening Balance to compensate for the changes.  Record the ending balance before doing the deletes and change the OB to get the ending balance to be the same as before.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• YjacketsYjackets Member
    edited January 5
    Yjackets said:

That would work, but I have 20+ accounts.  Window's users don't have any hassles like that, so why should Mac users have to do a bunch of risky-dink work arounds to do what is available on other platforms.  
  • I would appreciate instructions on doing a year-end archive. It was a feature of the Windows version but is missing in the Mac version.

From my current file, I want to save off into a new Quicken file transactions from a prior year and remove them from the current file.

I tried searching online for instructions but didn't find anything.

Thank you for your help
  • Me too!  Somewhat frustrated with the MAC version overall.

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser
    edited March 4
    @SethSea, as you correctly note, this functionality does not exist in Quicken Mac. Many users have asked for it, but we don't know when (or if) it will be added. The Mac developers sell have a long list of features users are asking them for.

One question I'd ask, not to be argumentative, is why you feel you need this functionality?

Quicken Mac was designed with the idea that users would keep years and decades of data in one file. Transaction registers and reports both make it very easy to set date filters to only show the current year, prior year, or any other time period. If you want to only see current year transactions, simply set your registers and reports to this year, and all the prior year data is hidden and out of site. But if you realize you need to look up a transaction from last year... or 7 years ago... it's right there with a simple change of date.

With Quicken Windows and the legacy Quicken Mac, the databases were more susceptible to corruption and bloat, which led users to separate their data and keep their databases smaller. The modern Quicken Mac uses a modern database which won't be affected by tens of thousands of transactions.

What is the advantage you feel you'll get by separating your data annually?
  • I prefer to keep a smaller working Quicken file by archiving past years and eventually deleting them when they are no longer relevant. If this is not a priority for the Mac version of Quicken, I think Quicken could at least have a KB article on how to do it manually. If there is one, please direct me to it as I could not find it.

Personally, I don't understand why Quicken, and other software companies, have a Windows and Mac versions that do not have the same functionality. In switching from Windows to a Mac, I have experienced this with several products I use regularly.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser
    @SethSea, the reasons for the differences in the Mac and Windows products date back decades, and have all sorts of twists and turns along the way. Unlike some software, which can party be developed in a programming environment that basically outputs code for both Windows and macOS, Quicken is very heavily dependent on the underlying operating systems for core functionality. It starts with the database, the most critical component for what Quicken actually does; it needs to be blazing fast and super reliable. The original Windows database wasn't available for Mac and visa versa, so they grew up differently; when the Mac version was started over earlier this decade, it was built on a much newer, industry-standard database -- but still different than the one used in Windows. Beyond that, the Windows program relies on the Microsoft .Net framework for much of its functionality; that doesn't exist on the Mac. Similarly, the Mac program relies on Core Data and other Apple frameworks to do much of the heavy listing for screen drawing and other functionality which would need to be hand-coded otherwise. Using these native operating system tools makes program development faster and less error-prone, but it makes them quite different under the hood.

Could Quicken create a version that is cross-platform? Yes. There are some databases which have Mac and Windows versions. But it would take rewriting both the Windows and Mac versions of Quicken pretty from the ground up to develop in a programming environment that can create code for both operating systems. If you've watches the slow pace of re-cording the Mac version from scratch over the past 5 years, you can gain an appreciation for what a massive job that would be.

Back to archiving years... Again, this feature might arrive in the future due to user demand, even though it runs counter to the way Quicken is designed to work. There is no KB article because it's not recommended practice, and can be fraught with potential problems. You can open one account register at a time, select the first transaction of a year, scroll to the last transaction of the year, Shift-Click on that to select all the transactions in between, and then press Delete. But... most accounts have transfers from other accounts along the way, and if you delete those, you affect the accounts on the other sides of those transfers. Now, if you write down the balance for the start of the current year for every account, delete all of last year's transactions, and then create an adjusting entry on December 31 of the prior year to bring the balance back to what it should be, you can get most of the way there. But if you have transfers between, say, your checking account and a mutual fund account, it can get tricky. If you transferred $1,000 from checking to the investment account, then purchased shares of a mutual fund or stock with that $1,000 cash, what happens when you delete the transaction in your checking account? Your investment account will now show a negative cash balance, because the transfer of funds from checking disappeared. So here again, you'll need an adjusting entry to bring your cash balance back to zero as of the end of the prior year. It's do-able, but depending on the number of accounts you have, there's a lot of deleting and making of adjusting entries to get your beginning year balances back in line.

And the question I'd ask you to think about is: if you do all that work, what does it gain you? A smaller database? Maybe, although deleting transactions from databases doesn't always shrink their size. Better stability? Unlikely, given the nature of the Mac version's SQL database. Unless you've got a huge database with maybe 25 or 30 years of data and it makes Quicken run too slowly, why do all the work to delete your transactions each year? If the answer is "because that's the way I always did it on Windows," it might be time to re-think how you can best use Quicken for Mac. Again, I'm not saying you can't delete last year's transactions; I'm only suggesting you really think about why you would do all that work and end up with last year's data in a separate file you need to open if you want to look something up, rather than having all your data in one place but viewing only what you need when you need it.

• @jacobs. Thank you for taking the time to provide this in depth explanation of the Mac/Windows differences and the philosophy about my request for year-end archive. 

My interest in the year-end archive is partly my age (I started out doing  backups on large floppy discs) when small files were an asset and partly out of habit of using Quicken Windows for years. Last year I some how muddled through a year-end archive on the Mac and struggled through all the issues you mentioned. That is why I was hoping there would be a nice KB laying out the steps that I could follow. 

Until year-end archive is added as a feature, I do think Quicken should provide a KB article so that those of us who do want to manage our file sizes can do so efficiently and safely. At some point, be it 2-, 5-, 20-years from now, most users will want to clear out obsolete data.

As to database efficiency, I just checked and was surprised to see that Window files can be about twice the size as Mac. I converted all my prior Windows year-end archives to Mac format. 

Thank you