Can't do a 1 column report for a Fiscal Year (Q Mac)

Don AwaltDon Awalt Member ✭✭✭
edited February 5 in Reports (Mac)
I am trying to create a report - a summary of expenses by category, over the range 9/1/18 thru today. I can select a summary report, by category, I can filter the categories I want, but it forces me to select a column type - I pick date, I want everything in one column - so I pick "year" as that is the broadest (vs. weekly, monthly, etc.). But then I get 2 columns, one for 2018, and one for 2019. I am tracking these expenses on a fiscal year, so I want one column. I was able to do this on Quicken for Windows, can this be done on Mac?

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2
    Hello Don,
    Thank you for taking the time to come to the Community with your Question.
    I would take a look at creating a transaction report.
    This can be found under Report > New Report > Transaction Report.
    The transaction report doesn't require that an interval is chosen.
    Hope this helps!
    -Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka
  • Don AwaltDon Awalt Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you @Quicken Tyka (your name doesn't show up on the drop down when I type @Quicken!), but I used Summary because I did not want all the detail transactions reported - just the summary of the categories. I don't think this is possible from the summary report, true?

IMHO the summary and transaction report should be merged into one choice, with all the options each individually offers, yet with a check box that says "summary" - check for summary, uncheck for all the detail. That should really be the only difference between these two choices.

That said, I don't think there is a solution to my problem, correct?
    Thanks John, that works pretty well but it's not nearly as nice a report as in QWin, if for example I just want expense categories, I get an empty area "Money In" and then a "Money Out": section, instead of just categories. Oh well!
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3
    While you have an answer, here is another way to create a report that you might not be familiar with: printing the register as a report.

You can select some transactions (say for your above date range.) You can do this in an individual account, or a subset of accounts via the sidebar groupings. Then, choose Print. You will get a pulldown which allows you to get various options (such transactions or categories, transactions selection, etc.) Play around with that (view the reports in Preview via the PDF menu to see the various outputs.

You can also use live searching at the upper right of the register window to perform quick reports/solve answers.

Here is an example of a few selected transactions:

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don Awalt said:
    But then I get 2 columns, one for 2018, and one for 2019. I am tracking these expenses on a fiscal year, so I want one column.
    It's true you get the columns for each calendar year, but you also get a Total column, which contains exactly what you want. Can't you just ignore the two years and use the Total column? (You could also do a quick Export of this report, open in Numbers or Excel, and delete the 2018 and 2019 columns, if you want a cleaned up report without those columns.)

I'm not saying it's perfect, but will the report or the spreadsheet export meet your needs?
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    It's a report I share with people, so it adds a little confusion to what they are looking for. Not a huge deal, I can work around it, it's just disappointing this report is available on Windows but not Mac.