Cannot Download Transactions from Chase Bank

Comments

• Thanks very much to the clever people who figured this out. 

I'm hoping that the folks at Chase fix this. I'm going to wait a bit before writing my own Python script to handle this. It's a cool solution, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the folks at Chase will get this worked out. 
  • timptimp Member
    RolondoZ - Add me to the thanks list! This worked for me as well. Not a long term solution, but works for now.

As a side question - From everything I know, Chase charges $9.95/mon for Direct Connect - is that not the case? If it is still the case, please be careful recommending this as a solution.

• maybe everyone on this chat is a techie but I am not - I am experiencing the same issue but have no idea how to manually change the FITID to a unique number. Any suggestions for a non-techie?  
  • What is a FITD number?
  • maxedhypomaxedhypo Unconfirmed, Member
    I sign on to chase.com to download into quicken for windows ver 19 and this week it just stopped accepting the transactions in quicken.
  • I am seeing the same issue. I tried creating a new chase account and just downloading it to that account and it failed as well.  Other banks seem to be fine. When I look at the csv file that is good as well.
  • Same problem.  It was okay until the update.  The Chase file downloads but Quicken doesn't post it although the quicken credit card account states it was updated.
    Now just went direct connection through one step update and it worked .we shall see next week that fixed it with the. Work around. Not fixed though
  • GeoffG said:
    @davelk I have two Chase CC accounts using DC without issue.  You say "Has anyone had any success activating Direct Connect access through the Chase website", are you trying to setup on Chase or in Quicken? You don't need to setup on Chase EXCEPT to respond to an authorization prompt after you initiate the connection.
    The Chase website has a setting to activate and deactivate access by desktop apps.  I was able to activate access, so that problem is solved.  However, now my problem is that I've gone through the process of resetting the account in Quicken, getting the authorization prompt, etc.  Everything seems to work fine, and I get a message in Quicken saying that the account has been reset successfully.  But then when I try to download transactions, after entering my password Quicken just hangs, occasionally displaying the blue circle icon and doing the Quicken shimmy (not sure how else to describe this -- it's the thing where various elements on the page flicker inexplicably, happens fairly regularly).  I thought maybe it was downloading a large number of transactions so let it go for a day, but it was still doing the same thing a day later.  Thoughts?
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @davelk What happens when you go to the Chase account register in Quicken and select Update Now from the gear icon on the upper right?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • I tried with one step connection and had no luck either . (I had never gotten it to work though)
  • When I go to the online update It does show the online balance matching what is in chase.com . Somehow the updates are not being added to quicken.

bmg42000 said:
    When I go to the online update It does show the online balance matching what is in chase.com . Somehow the updates are not being added to quicken.
    What do you see when you perform an Update Now from the Chase register in Quicken? You can access this from the gear icon on upper right.
    If there are transactions to download, they should populate in the bottom of the register screen to be reviewed and accepted.
    If transactions populate directly into the register, you should change the preferences setting to unchecked.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
    it is setup that way.....interesting.
  • FYI, the error in the Chase QFX file started occurring on Jan 31, 2019, and still persists as of today Feb 3. Two changes occurred on/after that date. First, the FITID field has become  NONE. Also the name of the Chase-created QFX file changed from something like Chase1234_RecentActivity..........QFX to Chase123_Activity...........QFX. So I surmise that the busy Chase developers made a change to their export program on Jan 30 that started breaking our imports. I presume someone has called Chase help line on this, but I will check on Monday.
    @jim.jbsalis Just for clarity this is a Windows topic that it getting interspersed with Mac. If you are using QW2019 then you should not even be looking at a QFX file or importing. If that's the case, can you explain why?
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3
    timp said:
    As a side question - From everything I know, Chase charges $9.95/mon for Direct Connect - is that not the case? If it is still the case, please be careful recommending this as a solution.

From C. D. Bales:
    Direct Connect downloads of Chase personal credit card accounts are free.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JayLo said:
    unfortunately, I do not have the option to use existing accounts. The system gives me new accounts to "add" without the ability to select current existing....
    From C. D. Bales:

That's likely because your existing accounts are still activated for downloading. Quicken will only allow you to match downloaded data to accounts that are NOT activated for downloading.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Thanks for figuring this out!  I'm getting back into Quicken and trying to get "old" transactions loaded since Chase only does 90 days by default.  I was going crazy until I found this post.  BTW, I changed the FITID's (by pulling into Excel, creating a numerical list in column A, sorting column B, changing the FITID's by creating a sequential unique number for each one and then resorting by column A, deleting column a and saving as .txt), but when I read into Quicken, I get "weird" matches to existing transactions.  Maybe my FITID's were not unique enough.  I think I'll wait for the Chase fix.   Please let us know when fixed.

Thanks!

jschmid said:
    Please let us know when fixed.

Fix what? The out-dated QFX file method is Chase bank's responsibility to fix not Quicken Inc.
  • I also have this problem with downloading transactions from my Chase credit card.  The downloaded transactions are recognized as a QFX file, but are not entered in the Register for that file.  My Chase checking account transactions work fine.  I prefer not to us the 'update now' feature. Quicken Subscription, Win10.
    nsteussy said:
    I prefer not to us the 'update now' feature. Quicken Subscription, Win10.
    Can you explain why?
  • denisetstonedenisetstone Unconfirmed, Member
    i also cannot download chase bank credit cards past transactions except within a few months.  i have tried deactivating all accounts, but they will not import thru qfx from the bank/web connect.  it won't work with quickbooks either!
  • I have the same problem.
    I don't use direct connect because when I tried to set it up, chase was charging ~$10/month for it.
    All my accounts but my CC account download transactions when I click One Step Update.  The CC account says it succeeds, but doesn't add any transactions to my register.  At some point that stopped working, and I don't know how to get it working again, and QFX download was the only workaround I had. and now this is broken! Does anyone know how to troubleshoot how to get one step update working again?
    edited February 3
    @thenols Chase CC is free for DC. Only checking/savings will cost. I believe even EWC is free. Unless it’s a business account. 
  • GeoffG said:
    @davelk What happens when you go to the Chase account register in Quicken and select Update Now from the gear icon on the upper right?
    That is what I was described above.  Still happening.
  • The procedure that I have used for years has been to down load .QFX files and then manually import them into Quicken.  I just opened a new chase account and the .QFX filling is only importing one transaction or none.  I opened the .QFX file in notepad and the transactions from the bank account are there.  There seems be an inconsistency between the downloaded .qfx and the Quicken 2017 deluxe program.  I don't use one-step 

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chase appears to be generating bad QFX files at this time.  As Chase also supports downloading transactions for free using the Direct Connect connection method, you may want to consider using this connection method instead.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • I'm a Luddite and don't want to use Direct Connect.  How will I know when Chase is no longer generating bad .qfx files, besides doing the same thing over and over and expect different results.
This discussion has been closed.