Why is Quicken 2019 so SLOW to load

I just upgraded from Quicken 2016 to 2019.  My version number is R17.6 Build 27.1.17.6
I have a reasonably fast computer, i7-7700K CPU, 32 GB ram with a 1TB solid state drive where my quicken files are stored.  Quicken 2016 loaded nearly instantaneously.  2019 takes up to 15 seconds before I can see the register.  I am extremely disappointed with this product.  I've been a quicken user since the DOS days and have transactions going back to 1990, but if this can't be fixed I need to find out how to migrate back to 2016 and get a refund.
If anyone knows how this might be fixed, I'd greatly appreciate it. 
Also is there a Quicken chat, or tech support email address, or a phone number so I can actually communicate with someone?  In all the years I've used this software this I've never had an issue.  This one is unacceptable.
Thanks in advance.
- Bob

Best Answer

• Accepted Answer
    Solved.  I was going to send a report to Quicken via Help/Report a problem..but wanted to look at the files being sent.  The first file was QCSLog.txt.  It had numerous entries for the same thing (apparently being written each time I opened the new program).  Each entry said the same thing:

"ERROR:Exception in trying to get user region Unable to connect to the remote server". 

Since I connect thru a VPN, I disconnected my VPN connection and Quicken loaded normally.  But that still isn't where I want to be since I nearly always connect thru the VPN.  I then went to Edit-->Preferences-->Web Connect and deselected 'Keep Quicken Open after Web Connect Completes'.  
    I closed the program, re-connected the VPN and everything is running as it should.
    So in the end, the problem seems to be in the 'Keep Quicken Open after web connect' check box.  For me, deselecting it was all I really needed to do.

Caveat: I don't use quicken mobile or quicken cloud services and don't know how those would be affected.  The 'web connect' thing seems to be applicable to opening Quicken with a browser, which I never do.

- Bob

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7
    Some users have posted that they were able to resolve the performance degradation they experienced after the upgrading by removing and then reentering their reminders.  The theory is there was some corruption introduced at some time in the past that became active on upgrade that is not detected or handled by the Copy and Validate.  I suggest saving a data file backup (press Ctrl + B) and then deleting all of the reminders followed by performing the Copy and Validate.  You can then evaluate whether the general performance issue is resolved.  If the performance issue is resolved, you can use the backup you saved to print the reminders and then renter them.

If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Thank you very much for the reply, I really do appreciate it.  That will be a job for the weekend though.  I did go to that link earlier but it found only 1 minor issue.  So I think I'll work on your suggestion.
    Thanks again!
    - Bob
  • Nope. It did not help.  I was estimating the time to load earlier.  It takes a full 25 seconds for me to see the register after I enter my password.  If Quicken support can't figure it out, I'll need to find out how to get my money back, and migrate back to 2016.  I've been a customer for a LONG time and really think that getting support should be much easier.
    - Bob

• R BernardR Bernard Member
    Accepted Answer
    Solved.  I was going to send a report to Quicken via Help/Report a problem..but wanted to look at the files being sent.  The first file was QCSLog.txt.  It had numerous entries for the same thing (apparently being written each time I opened the new program).  Each entry said the same thing:

"ERROR:Exception in trying to get user region Unable to connect to the remote server". 

Since I connect thru a VPN, I disconnected my VPN connection and Quicken loaded normally.  But that still isn't where I want to be since I nearly always connect thru the VPN.  I then went to Edit-->Preferences-->Web Connect and deselected 'Keep Quicken Open after Web Connect Completes'.  
    I closed the program, re-connected the VPN and everything is running as it should.
    So in the end, the problem seems to be in the 'Keep Quicken Open after web connect' check box.  For me, deselecting it was all I really needed to do.

Caveat: I don't use quicken mobile or quicken cloud services and don't know how those would be affected.  The 'web connect' thing seems to be applicable to opening Quicken with a browser, which I never do.

- Bob

edited February 8
    Regarding Web Connect, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

To confirm whether the Web Connect setting was relevant or not, I think you should restore the setting.  My suspicion is that it is not relevant.  I think obtaining region may be a one-time (or perhaps infrequent) occurrence.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Cool.  You are correct, I re-opened Quicken 2019, and re-selected the web connect thingy.  I closed the program, and re-opened it again and Voila!, no more slow.
    So, to recap, anyone else experiencing this issue should:
    - disable the web connect checkbox
    - close the program
    - re-open the program
    - re-select the check box and everything should be normal.
    Does that sound about right?
    I suspect all you needed to do was open Quicken once without the VPN.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8
    R Bernard said:
    So, to recap, anyone else experiencing this issue should:
    - disable the web connect checkbox
    - close the program
    - re-open the program
    - re-select the check box and everything should be normal.
    Does that sound about right?
    I'm afraid not. This goes to illustrate the utter randomness of Quicken's performance problems. I'm glad you found something that worked for you.
    I have tried removing reminders. No joy. I've tried removing attachments just for the heck of it. No joy. I've File/Copied, Validated, tweaked the Web Connect setting, and all the other recommended remedies without success.
    I am now convinced that in my personal (unique?) case, the problem is a hardware incompatibility. I run Q on 2 nearly identical machines. Both have Win7 Pro, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 CPUs, and Nvidia GPUs. The only difference I can see is that one machine has slower (i.e., mobile) CPU, clock speed, and GPU than the other. Q starts and runs acceptably fast on my desktop machine, and starts and runs painfully slowly on my laptop.
    I run the exact same data file on both machines, and one machine takes 3x as long to start up Q as the other.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Rocket, it sounds like it's time to give that problem laptop a Dumbarton test. 
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Rocket is correct in that it is somewhat user dependent, and 'finding something that works for you' is very appropriate.  In my case, I was not comparing 1 machine against another, I was comparing the huge difference in load times from one version to the next on the same machine.  So this thread is probably applicable only to those who notice an immediate performance degradation after installing the new version of Quicken. 
    R Bernard said:
    Rocket is correct in that it is somewhat user dependent, and 'finding something that works for you' is very appropriate.  In my case, I was not comparing 1 machine against another, I was comparing the huge difference in load times from one version to the next on the same machine.  So this thread is probably applicable only to those who notice an immediate performance degradation after installing the new version of Quicken. 
    And are using a VPN.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    edited February 8
    mshiggins said:

I live closer to the San Mateo & Bay Bridges now. But I can't really pin the blame on the laptop. All programs other than Quicken run acceptably fast.

Before I take the laptop swimming, I will try uninstalling as many other 3rd party applications as I can. Every application now wants to run processes in the background. Perhaps I'll get lucky and find one or more that are slowing down Q.

R Bernard said:
    Rocket is correct in that it is somewhat user dependent, and 'finding something that works for you' is very appropriate.  In my case, I was not comparing 1 machine against another, I was comparing the huge difference in load times from one version to the next on the same machine.  So this thread is probably applicable only to those who notice an immediate performance degradation after installing the new version of Quicken. 
    I can agree with this hypothesis and make a humorous comment about it at the same time.
    On my laptop, my slowdowns did indeed start when I installed a new version of Q. That version was QW2014, marking Q's migration from Microsoft .NET 2 to .NET 4. Subsequent releases have gotten slower, but not as much as the move from '13 to '14.
    mshiggins said:

I live closer to the San Mateo & Bay Bridges now. But I can't really pin the blame on the laptop. All programs other than Quicken run acceptably fast.

Before I take the laptop swimming, I will try uninstalling as many other 3rd party applications as I can. Every application now wants to run processes in the background. Perhaps I'll get lucky and find one or more that are slowing down Q.

Have you tried using Quicken with Windows booted in Safe Mode on the laptop?
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    Sherlock said:Have you tried using Quicken with Windows booted in Safe Mode on the laptop?
    Yes. There is a slight but not significant increase in startup speed.
    Do you think that the fact there isn't a big speedup invalidates my plan to uninstall 3rd-party apps?
    edited February 8
    Sherlock said:Have you tried using Quicken with Windows booted in Safe Mode on the laptop?
    Do you think that the fact there isn't a big speedup invalidates my plan to uninstall 3rd-party apps?
    Yep.   You've checked Quicken's log files, right?
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    Sherlock said:
    Not lately. There are so many of them. Which ones would you suggest I examine and what would I look for?
    Sherlock said:
    Not lately. There are so many of them. Which ones would you suggest I examine and what would I look for?
    Too limit the noise, you could start fresh and compare the laptop's Quicken logs with what your seeing on the desktop.  I would start with simply opening the Quicken with the Ctrl key pressed if that is noticeably different.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • The way I ended up solving my problem was almost by accident.  I went to the help tab and clicked on 'Report a problem...' You'll see 5 text files that will be sent to Quicken if you don't de-select them.  I opened and read the first file and it immediately pointed me in the direction that led to the fix.  So you might examine each of these files, they're all text files and you can easily read them. It's worth a look at least.
    Good luck
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:

I live closer to the San Mateo & Bay Bridges now. 

Yeah but San Mateo test or Bay test just doesn't have the same cachet that Dumbarton test does. 
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    In case you missed this and want to give it try: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7802317/

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    It makes sense to allow Windows to paint as much as it can (e,g., classic menus) and reduce the amount of painting Quicken performs (e.g., tabs). Quicken paints slowly.
    This doesn't help me because I never use tabs.
This discussion has been closed.