How can I categorize "uncategorized" deposits (paychecks for example) by Amount instead of Payee?

Options
If I am frequently and repetitively depositing checks, even though they are all from the same provider, there is no way for my bank or Quicken to know the name of the issuer (Payee) on that check... period! It will always be categorized as uncategorized. BUT if those checks are ALWAYS for the same amount, then it only makes sense that they need to be categorized by the AMOUNT, not the Payee. Please make this change in the program ASAP.

Answers

• dcforer
    dcforer Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, John, for such a quick response. FYI, they were absolutely useless and seemed to know less about Quicken than I know as a user.  But thanks for responding.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dcforer said:
    If I am frequently and repetitively depositing checks, even though they are all from the same provider, there is no way for my bank or Quicken to know the name of the issuer (Payee) on that check... period! It will always be categorized as uncategorized. BUT if those checks are ALWAYS for the same amount, then it only makes sense that they need to be categorized by the AMOUNT, not the Payee. Please make this change in the program ASAP.
    The bank does not know the Payee Name of checks that you deposit. For them it's always just "Deposit" and that can't be categorized automagically.
    I recommend, especially for paychecks with split categories like gross pay, deductions, etc, that you manually record each such transaction into your Quicken checking account register before you go to the bank to deposit these checks. Use Scheduled Reminder Transaction for recurring events.
    When you download transactions after the trip to the bank, it should be possible for Quicken to match the downloaded deposit to the existing register transaction. If not, drag the downloaded transaction over the existing manually entered register transaction to effect a manual match.
    Do you have situations where you often need to deposit more than one check per trip to the bank? There's a method to deal with that situation, too. Let me know if you want to hear about it.
This discussion has been closed.