Why won't 5.8.2 update for Quicken 2017 for Mac install on MacBook running Sierra?

I can download 5.8.2 to update my Quicken 2017 for Mac, but it will not install.  I get a message that says it won't install and there is no other information available.  How do I get it to install?

Answers

• lhossuslhossus SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...  I get a message that says it won't install and there is no other information available.  ...
    Please post a screenshot of the message.

Also, from where are you downloading 5.8.2?
    Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Sierra 10.12.6
    ...  I get a message that says it won't install and there is no other information available.  ...
    How far into the installation does it go before the message appears? Do you see the following dialogs:
    1. Updating Quicken 2017 ... Downloading update, with a progress bar showing xx.x MB of 34.6 MB
    2. Updating Quicken 2017 ... Ready to Install, with a button labeled Install and Relaunch
    3. Updating Quicken 2017 ... Installing update
    4. Quicken Installer wants to make changes. ... Enter your password to allow this.
    5. Q Database Update ... Quicken needs to perform a one-time update on your Quicken files. ... with a progress bar.
    6. Q Checking Data Consistency ... 
    7. Get Ready for Tax Season! Extended just for you.
    Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Sierra 10.12.6
  • Thank you for your response.  I finally resorted to just dragging the icon into applications rather than the install process.  It would go all the way through the process and in the final step, I think, it would tell me it could update and give no reason.  I think I have gotten it done now.  I appreciate your help. 
  • couldn't update, not could.

couldn't update, not could.

I think you can edit your own posts when you find such typos, Rather than making another post.
    Thank you for your response.  I finally resorted to just dragging the icon into applications rather than the install process.  It would go all the way through the process and in the final step, I think, it would tell me it could update and give no reason.  I think I have gotten it done now.  I appreciate your help. 
    All's well that ends well.

I ran the same update to v5.8.2 just before my post, and I encountered no issues. So, it is likely there is something a bit unusual with your setup. It would be good to get to the bottom of the problem but you seem to have a good workaround.
    Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Sierra 10.12.6
  • I'll be using it today, so I'll find out how it worked. Thanks for your help.