Trying to open a 2008 year end copy

Trying to access transaction from 2008.  When i open the year end copy i created there is no date or transations.  I converted the file as prompted but the file that opens is empty.  Any suggestions?

Answers

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are trying to open the 2008 file in anything later than 2013, you need to open it first with 2013.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Thank you so much. How can i tell which version i had at the time?  Do i need to reinstall it on my computer?  I currently have 2016, is it possible to have 2 versions of quicken on the same computer? Thanks for your info just a little confused.

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much. How can i tell which version i had at the time?  Do i need to reinstall it on my computer?  I currently have 2016, is it possible to have 2 versions of quicken on the same computer? Thanks for your info just a little confused.

So, it is a file from calendar year 2008, not necessarily a Quicken 2008 file.
    While, yes, it is possible to have more than one version (year) of Quicken installed, it is not easy and can cause issues.
    If you have access to a second computer that does not have Q, that would be the easiest.  If you don't, just make sure that you have the installation file for your Quicken 2016 someplace and download the latest patch release for 2016 here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

You can get the QW2013 from the link in my prior post.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    While you're trying to reawaken your 2008 file please do not forget to also convert all the other older Year End Archive files you have to your current Q 2016 version. They are all suffering from the same "need conversion to new file format" problem.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:

"I converted the file as prompted but the file that opens is empty".

When Quicken converts a data file, it creates a new folder to hold the original file. That new folder contains the year of the version that created the file that got converted.

So, for example, if your original file was created by Q2008 and resided in the folder QDATA when you converted it: after the conversion, you would find a new folder in QDATA named Q08Files. In that folder, would be the Q2008 file as it was before being converted.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list