Q2019, W10 Slow Loading - Suggestions to improve load time

Quicken for Windows 2019 (US), Version: R14.27; Build: 27.1.14.27 with W10 is slow in loading.  I recently  upgraded to this latest Ver of Q.  I've been a regular Quicken user for 15+ years with various versions of Q (all Windows).  Prior versions always seemed to load almost immediately.  This Version seems to take about two+ minutes or so to load (before the program appears on my screen).  It seems like an unusually long time to wait.  I'd like to accelerate the load time.  

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.

Comments

• ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Wonder what screens and delay times you are seeing... where/when -
    My Win10 and Q2019 - R14.27 - on my old laptop ...

- click on the Quicken icon -
    - the QUICKEN splash logo appears within 1 or 2 secs
    - Enter file password (my file is pw protected)
    - see a quick box for ... Investment Values Calculated
    - delay --> Home Screen appears

8 secs - total time from incon click to Home Screen display

Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This is about the 4th post I have seen about slow loading.  Interesting enough the one was for about 30 seconds, but the others mentioned 2 minutes.

I'm not sure what is going on, but there does seem to be something hanging up, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't some kind of network time out where Quicken is checking something online, times out, and then goes on.

My data file, which doesn't have a password takes about 8 seconds to load.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    bparker,
    do you have Sync to Mobile enabled and is Quicken syncing with the server at startup?
    This could explain your delay. You might want to start looking into this direction.
  • Luke SaladygaLuke Saladyga Member
    edited October 2018
    No, it's not the delay due to syncing.

I have the same issue. I have over 15 years worth of transactions in Quicken and Quicken is now EXTREMELY slow to load and sync.

It's the software. My data file DOES have a password. Something is broken in 2019 and Quicken won't admit it.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows

If the issue persists, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • bparkerbparker Member
    edited October 2018
    UKR said:

bparker,
    do you have Sync to Mobile enabled and is Quicken syncing with the server at startup?
    This could explain your delay. You might want to start looking into this direction.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.  But, no I don't sync to Mobile.  I really do appreciate the thought and the reply.  Sincerely,
  • bparkerbparker Member
    edited October 2018

No, it's not the delay due to syncing.

I have the same issue. I have over 15 years worth of transactions in Quicken and Quicken is now EXTREMELY slow to load and sync.

It's the software. My data file DOES have a password. Something is broken in 2019 and Quicken won't admit it.

Thank you Luke Saladyga for your comment.   I don't use a password for my data file, and I'm not syncing to any other process (that I know of).

I too am wondering if the issue may(?) be the size of my data file(?), because I have 15+ years of transactions as well.  I've not experienced such a delay in the past, and I seem to remember reading elsewhere on this Forum at one point that Q has a huge (don't recall the specific number) capacity for transactions.

I appreciate your comments.

Sincerely,

• bparkerbparker Member
    edited October 2018
    ps56k said:

Thanks for your comment, ps56k.  My file is not pw protected.  When I wrote yesterday, I was casual in my reference to about two minutes for opening, so I timed the start sequence this morning. Turned on computer (I don't leave it running, or in sleep or hibernate mode when I'm not using ).  From clicking on Q icon QUICKEN splash logo appears in 8 sec.  Home screen appears in 1 min, 43 secs.   This was the first start up of the day. 

Later, I closed Quicken (did not turn off or reboot PC) and started from the desktop shortcut icon several times and the start times compress, e.g.,  from clicking on Q icon QUICKEN splash logo appears in 2 sec.  Home screen appears in 19.95 secs.  That seems more in line with your experience.

So it appears that on the initial start of Q after turning on my PC is when I experience the slow loading.

I really appreciate your comment.  Thank you.

• bparkerbparker Member
    edited October 2018
    Sherlock said:

I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows

If the issue persists, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Thank you very much, Sherlock.  I've read a number of your posts (generally) over the years - always impressed.  I appreciate your suggestions and will review further.  As an unsophisticated computer user, I'm reluctant to uninstall as a general matter, but will read your links with interest.  I really appreciate your taking the time to suggest a 'fix'.

Sincerely,  
  • bparkerbparker Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks to all who have replied to my post. I appreciate it and enjoy the helpfulness and wisdom of support from this Forum.  As additional information:

Background.   In previous Q
    versions (going back to the mid 1980's), I've always either purchased the software outright (disc), or in more
    recent years downloaded the software from Quicken (or perhaps via Amazon), but
    in either case I've always "owned" the s/w and just updated when new
    revisions to my Version were available.

I don't use any of the syncing features, use Q only on my PC, do not download transactions from financial institutions and do not use Q on-line (cloud) storage.

In this most recent instance, apart from my normal practice, I (initially) subscribed on-line to the 2019 version (annual renewal) of Quicken Premier.  First attempt (paid for in mid-September) failed upon trying to activate it in early October.  Great
    assistance from Quicken Support Help Desk, multiple attempts to download
    failed.  Turned over control of my PC to the Q Support Rep who remotely removed all
    previous versions of Quicken on my PC [that was an amazing thing to watch ...
    seeing all these years of .exe scroll by on my screen (2006 was the last date I
    recall seeing)].  Then installed 2019 Premier for Windows, on Oct 10.

The slow loading continues to be my experience.

As additional data, in respect of data and file size:

Thank you all.

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    bparker said:

Thanks to all who have replied to my post. I appreciate it and enjoy the helpfulness and wisdom of support from this Forum.  As additional information:

versions (going back to the mid 1980's), I've always either purchased the software outright (disc), or in more

I don't use any of the syncing features, use Q only on my PC, do not download transactions from financial institutions and do not use Q on-line (cloud) storage.

In this most recent instance, apart from my normal practice, I (initially) subscribed on-line to the 2019 version (annual renewal) of Quicken Premier.  First attempt (paid for in mid-September) failed upon trying to activate it in early October.  Great
    failed.  Turned over control of my PC to the Q Support Rep who remotely removed all

Thank you all.

A few general comments.

First off on the subscription.  When you "bought" Quicken before you got with it the online services for about 3.5 years from the time it was released.  Online services include downloading of transactions.  After that if you didn't "buy" a new version of Quicken you no longer could use the online services.  You would only be able to do manual entry into Quicken.  With the subscription as long as you have Deluxe or above it works the same way except that you can get different periods of time for the online services.  And those sericess start when you activate them instead of a fixed time since they had released that version of Quicken.

Next on the Quicken support call.  I hope you didn't pay them anything because it sounds like you were not talking to the real Quicken support.  From what I know Quicken support can look at your Desktop remotely, but can't control it.
    The only official contacts are the phone number in your Quicken account and this webpage:
    http://quicken.com/contact-support

On the size of your data file.  As data files go, yours is actually quite small.
    As a comparison here is mine.

Mine loads in about 8 seconds.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    bparker said:

Thank you all.

There does appear to be an anomaly in bparker's Available memory. 
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    bparker said:

Thank you all.

Yeah, I noticed that too, but I'm not sure what to make of it...
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    bparker said:

Thank you all.

bparker,
    How much memory do your ACTUALLY have on this PC?

Do you have any program that runs constantly on your PC, without being shut down overnight?

Because, that's the only number, from your graphic, that's really out of whack.

All of your other numbers are, if anything, on the small side of what's customary.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
    edited October 2018
    bparker said:

Thank you all.

I'm embarrassed to ask... but where/how do I bring up that "resource" screen...
    oops - found it in a saved text....

The real size of your Q data can be determined by doing

--> HELP and
    --> holding down the CTRL key
    --> click About Quicken.

edited October 2018
    bparker said:

Thank you all.

BTW - I'm not really sure what the Q resource screen is showing for "Total Memory" -
    2097151k == showing for each of us ??  ( 2GB ? )
    - on my Win10 laptop I am seeing ...
    - Physical memory - 4083MB  (4GB)
    - Swap Space - 8179MB (8GB)
    - Virtual memory - 12263MB  (8GB + 4GB => 12GB)
  • bparkerbparker Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for further questions and guidance.  I'm very basic PC user so not really sure where to find different types of memory, but ...  

Memory:  This shows 4 GB installed with 3.45 GB usable.

In respect to 'available-to-total' questions.  My screen grab showed total of 2,097,151 K, with available of 999,612 K, now only as I write this I see what you are saying. I didn't notice this, yes it looks like my system is using 1,997,189 K on some process or other.  In respect to NotACPA - QW HBRP 2019's question, I am not (to my knowledge) running any processes overnight.  When not in use I turn off (completely power down) my PC. 

If there are any checks I can run to monitor or report activity to try an find the answer to this, I'm happy to try them.   Thanks for the continuing thoughtful comments.

Sincerely,

• bparkerbparker Member
    edited October 2018
    Re:  QPW.  Thank you for your comments and very helpful clarification of the subscription models, the resources I was able to access from purchasing the Q software and the differences between the models.  Very instructive.  Thank you.
    With respect to the Quicken support call.  No, I didn't pay anything.  You are absolutely correct, and I inaccurately summarized the support I received.  Indeed the support Desk did not make changes to my PC, she explained and then instructed what I had to do, and I was the one typing the commands (very interesting to me actually).  I'm sorry to have glossed over that point, or to have misrepresented it in my previous post, it just slipped my mind.  I did discuss with the representative why she was not able to take over my machine (as you point out) and indeed she explained they were not able to do that.

Again, thanks for your helpful comments and concern.

Sincerely,

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    bparker said:

Re:  QPW.  Thank you for your comments and very helpful clarification of the subscription models, the resources I was able to access from purchasing the Q software and the differences between the models.  Very instructive.  Thank you.
    With respect to the Quicken support call.  No, I didn't pay anything.  You are absolutely correct, and I inaccurately summarized the support I received.  Indeed the support Desk did not make changes to my PC, she explained and then instructed what I had to do, and I was the one typing the commands (very interesting to me actually).  I'm sorry to have glossed over that point, or to have misrepresented it in my previous post, it just slipped my mind.  I did discuss with the representative why she was not able to take over my machine (as you point out) and indeed she explained they were not able to do that.

Again, thanks for your helpful comments and concern.

Sincerely,

bparker  Thanks for clarifying that.  Some of the "Scammers" will in fact take over people's machines.  With that kind of control there is no telling what they might do to ones machine.
  • Mike SabotMike Sabot Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    ps56k said:

I get the same issue, taking 4 min on my machine, first time, I don't get the quicken progress.   Second time I do.  Second Time is a little faster but not muchimage
  • Mike SabotMike Sabot Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sherlock said:

None of this occurred until the 2019 update.
  • bparkerbparker Member
    edited October 2018
    ps56k said:

Thanks Mike.  While I'm sorry you too are experiencing slow loading, it is heartening to see this may be an issue beyond merely me or my PC.

And yes, this issue was not something I faced prior to the 2019 version.

Sincerely,
  • ChicagoDan3ChicagoDan3 Member
    edited October 2018
    bparker said:

Thank you all.

Each 32 bit process gets a 4gb address space.  Half of that is reserved for the OS.
  • psobilopsobilo Member ✭✭
    edited February 10
    For those experiencing 'slow' startup of Quicken after turning on your PC, consider that it is loading other programs in the background during PC startup.  If you have a lot of icons on your desktop, all those are being loaded.

To get an idea of how much is going on when you first boot up and before you load Quicken, start Task Manager, click on the Performance tab, and select your hard drive.  Mine runs at approx. 100% for the first few minutes, then 'stabilizes' to less than 5% activity.

If you are running on an SSD, load times are probably much faster.
This discussion has been closed.