Premier vs Deluxe for investments - What's the added value ?

TeeGeeTeeGee Member
edited March 6 in Before you Buy
I'm retired, no longer a very active investor, and  do not need advanced investment analysis tools. If I now switch from Premier edition to Deluxe edition will I lose any of my past investment transactions?
Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    You'll lose NO transactions.  You'll lose functionality.  See here for a comparison of the 2 products: https://www.quicken.com/compare

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • Thanks very much!!
  • splashersplasher SuperUser
    That functionality is mostly bells and whistles, nothing you have to have to track investments.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Daddio25Daddio25 Member
    I see that a feature of Premier is "Track cost basis and create Schedule D tax reports."  I've never used this feature, but i do like to see what my gains are.  Does the Deluxe version not calculate/display investment gains (in the Account Overview window)?
  • Daddio25Daddio25 Member

Thanks for the quick response.  That is what I suspected -- just wanted to make sure.  :-)

• ps56kps56k SuperUser
    edited March 5
    I've been using QW Deluxe vs Premier - and have no probs with displaying all sorts of Investment related data, tax planner, etc... I too was confused about what the Premier version offered that I didn't already have with the Deluxe version -
    I don't use QW to import data into TurboTax, I use the actual brokerage house import function in TurboTax.... so not sure if there is any functional issues with that import.
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Member
    Thanks to all who have responded. I asked this question of the Quicken Community because I didn't believe the answer Quicken gave me. The last time they offered a 40% off sale I was going to buy the Deluxe version, but was unsure if I would lose any investment data from my Premier file. The Quicken agent who responded said that I would lose ALL of my investment data if I changed from Premier to Deluxe. Another sale lost by an ignorant employee. (Wonder how often that has happened?)
    Thanks, again, to the Quicken Community!
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser
    It would be nice to know exactly what "investment related" features are actually avail in the Premier version vs the Deluxe version .... the "comparison matrix" really doesn't expand on the topic.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser
    edited March 5
    FYI, ALL current 'editions' of Quicken are now downward compatible, meaning that if you downgrade your version, the only thing you lose is the functionality associated with the greater version BUT you retain ALL data created by those higher 'editions'.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(STILL using QM2007, Canadian user since '92)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • ps56k said:
    It would be nice to know exactly what "investment related" features are actually avail in the Premier version vs the Deluxe version .... the "comparison matrix" really doesn't expand on the topic.
    I can't claim that this is exactly what the differences are, but having used both the ones I know are:

1. There are four reports in the Reports and Graphs Centre that are available in Premier but not in Deluxe:
    • Investment Activity
    • Schedule A - Itemized Deduction
    • Schedule B - Interest and Dividends
    • Schedule D - Capital Gains and Losses
    2. Premier has a preference setting to update security prices every 15 minutes

3. Premier can download currency rates, Deluxe can't.

4. Online services are more restricted for Deluxe, e.g. the Morningstar Portfolio X-Ray isn't available.

US Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2019 R18.16 on Windows 10 Pro v1809
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser
    edited March 6
    Interesting.... in my Q2019 Deluxe ---> Report --> Tax --> Tax Schedule
    Guess Premier might create better individual Schedule reports vs just the normal.

• ps56k said:
    Interesting.... in my Q2019 Deluxe ---> Report --> Tax --> Tax Schedule
    Guess Premier might create better individual Schedule reports vs just the normal.

Yes, Interesting isn't it?  Look at the Reports and Graphs Centre though:

With a bit of digging you might find the Investing Activity Report too :wink:

US Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2019 R18.16 on Windows 10 Pro v1809
  • Big TexBig Tex Member
    Is that true for the Mac version too? The comparison chart only shows that Premier includes bill pay and premier support. Other than that every other feature check box is identical with no exclusions identified.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser
    Correct for QMac.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(STILL using QM2007, Canadian user since '92)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
This discussion has been closed.