Sub category does not show up in customized quicken report

While other subcategory descriptions and amounts show up just fine, one subcategory does not appear on the customized report.  The dollars spent or budgeted on that subcategory are included in the totals, but the line items does not appear on the report.  I've checked all the report customization settings (accounts, categories, etc.) with no luck.

Comments

• Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    What version and year of Quicken are you running?

Which report are you customizing?
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken 2019 Home, Business, and Rental Property, v. R17.6.  I am customizing an income and expense report comparing actual to budget for selected categories of both revenue and expense.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I have Premier, but in that version the budget reports are pre-filtered by your selections on the Planning > Budgets page.

Click on Budget Actions, then Select Categories to budget, and make sure your sub-category is selected in the list. 
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • I have done that, Jim.  Thank you.  No luck.  The categories (and sub-categories) desired are all checked, and there are no other filters enabled in the report customization which would cause one sub-category not to appear in the report, while the dollars reflected for that sub-category are accurately contained in the totals for the report.  Very strange.....
  • I am also having trouble seeing sub categories.
    I am using Quicken Premier 2019 and wanted a simple Income & Expense by Category report for tax preparation.  Some of the categories are supposed to have sub categories, but they don't show on the report.
    For instance, we have a category "Insurance" and I wanted to pull "Health Insurance" out from all the other insurances.  I couldn't do it on the main report even though when I drilled down into Insurance the information was there.
    If this is a customization, please tell me where to find it!

I just checked again, and the subcategories are in the Spending by Category report, but I wanted both income and expenses on one report.

Thanks!
  • TJTJ Member
    Be sure you check for any updates, as R18.15 is the latest. Also do an account Validate.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12
    From C. D. Bales:

@Margaret Freedman

"I ... wanted a simple Income & Expense by Category report ...  but [subcategories] don't show on the report ... the subcategories are in the Spending by Category report ...."

"If this is a customization, please tell me where to find it".

See the "Subcategories" dropdown on the Advanced tab of the report Customize dialog. 

The "Income & Expense by Category" report defaults to hiding all subcategories. The "Spending by Category" report defaults to showing all subcategories.

[Also: this discussion is about budgets and budget reports: you should have started your own discussion.]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • I have the latest update, and I have done a validate.  Problem persists......
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    What you are seeing can occur if you don't have the subcategory selected under Planning > Budgets.  The amount can still show up in the total for the Category, i.e., the detail you see - each subcategory - doesn't add up to the total.

Click Planning > Budgets > Budget Actions > Select categories to budget... and make sure the subcategory is selected.

Here's the Reports > Spending > Current Budget showing the same "Utilities" actual, one with a subcategory selected, one without that subcategory selected:

• Hi Tom:  Thank you for your excellent advice.  However, I made sure that the subcategory desired was selected beforehand, but alas, the line still failed to appear on the report (although the dollar amount was included in the total, just like you show above).  I've checked and rechecked -- no luck!
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked at the Category List? Can you show us the portion of the Category List showing the parent category and all its subcategories, including the one with the problem?
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of the webpage. At the top of the text entry window  you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.
  • First, a snip of the Category list, captured from the budget tab.  Note that the Tax/Property/Other box is not checked, but I unchecked it because I could not get a budget item to print on the customized report for that subcategory.  Second, a snip of the report itself.  It does not include the Tax/Property/Other line because I could not get that line to print.  Here are the snips.  
This discussion has been closed.