How to write a check on Quicken Premier?

I am trying to establish a new file.  I cannot write checks on my primary checking account inspite of logging into QuickenBillPay. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

Answers

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Are you talking about "Printing checks from Quicken"?
    You do not need to sign up for Quicken Bill Pay if you want to record (and print) paper checks in Quicken.
    More details, please.
  • I am trying to send checks from my Quicken via my back to my payee
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    More details, please.
    What, exactly, happens when you try to send a payment transaction to your bank? What error messages do you get?
    What version (year, release and edition level) of Quicken do you use?
  • I am using Quicken Premier 2019.  When I press the check # there in no "send" to select. When I fill it in and try to send a check, it states that I am not set up for online  payments.  What needs to be activated to enable this process with my bank?
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12
    rustyford said:
    I am using Quicken Premier 2019.  When I press the check # there in no "send" to select. When I fill it in and try to send a check, it states that I am not set up for online  payments.  What needs to be activated to enable this process with my bank?
    Just to clarify some wording.... 
    Are you wanting to send a "payment" from Quicken
    via Bill Pay to your Bank to your Payee ...  
    --> Quicken --> BillPay Service --> Bank --> Payee
    Have your created your Bill Pay info ?
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • I really am not certain that I have to use Bill Pay. On my other , older file, I would select "Send" in the check column ans provide the name and address of the payee.  It would be sent to my bank when I selected the "Online Center".  Once uploaded my Quicken would be updated with a check number where "Send" was originally. I would put every check I wanted to send in manually using my Memorized Payees.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12
    That sounds like you're using Direct Connect to send the billpay instructions directly to your bank ... and not using Quicken BillPay, a separate product offered by Metavante.
    SO, what Build/Release of QW2019 are you running? 
    Which Bank?
    And when you do TOOLS, Account List ... what does it say in the "Transactions Download" column across from your account name?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    " How do you set that up & do you need Quicken Premier ?"
    It has to be a feature that your bank offers, possibly for a fee. If they don't offer it, you can't set it up.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • Thank you!
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You need to explicitly enable online bill pay for the account in the new file. See this example using Bank of America.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12
    There is no reason to use Chase site. They are a free Direct Connect FI. You simply create the Online Payees you want to pay. Then schedule the payment as a reminder and at the appropriate time, the OSU sends your payment request to Chase (or any FI that support DC and bill pay). The alternative method is to use what @rustyford does and enter Send in the Check # column. It is also possible to transfer money to/from checking and savings accounts at the same institution.
    Online options should show in the Check # drop-down when the checking account is configured for online bill payment.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1809
    edited February 12
    tnx for the screen shot -
    I'm already paying bills directly from my Chase online website,
    but will research to see if Chase supports this #2 option - Direct Pay from Quicken..
    https://www.chase.com/personal/mobile-online-banking/login-billpay
    Guessing I would need to update from Quicken Deluxe to Quicken Premier

rustyford said:
     I would select "Send" in the check column and provide the name and address of the payee.  It would be sent to my bank when I selected the "Online Center".  Once uploaded my Quicken would be updated with a check number where "Send" was originally. I would put every check I wanted to send in manually using my Memorized Payees.
    yes.... What BANK for this checking acct ?
    edited February 12
    GeoffG said:
    There is no reason to use Chase site. They are a free Direct Connect FI. You simply create the Online Payees you want to pay.
    WOW - Thanks -
    Do I need to upgrade from Quicken Deluxe to Quicken Premier
    to enable any kind of these "bill pay" interfaces ?
    @ps56k no need to upgrade. I've used this functionality in Deluxe for years. Chase and PNC are the only banks I'm aware of that offer this for free.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1809
    This is one of the many gems Quicken provides users that is not always obvious or visible. Unfortunately, in their effort to push QBP, they've really, suppressed this feature.
    edited February 12
    GeoffG said:
    @ps56k no need to upgrade. I've used this functionality in Deluxe for years. Chase and PNC are the only banks I'm aware of that offer this for free.
    Yikes - wish I knew this years ago -
    Just looked before your other postings came across.
    I'll have to play with it - with some upcoming Bill Reminders