How do I reverse a transfer of a security between 2 accounts?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you just delete the transaction?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks NotACPA.  The 2 reasons I can't (or would prefer not to) delete is that I deleted the account the security was originally in, and I don't particularly want to re-enenter over 25 years of monthly/quarterly data.
    Thanks again.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    But why can't you delete the transaction in the account that RECEIVED the transfer?

• Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    If I understand you correctly (and I oribably don't-LOL), if I delete the transaction in the account that received the transfer, and I deleted the account that the transfer was from, would I not have deleted all of the information regarding the transaction for that security?  That is to say, I still want the backup information/entries for the security somewhere...
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you explain why you did the transfer in the 1st place?  And, in the real world, what happened?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not restore your Quicken data file from a backup created prior to making this change? Restore to a different data file name so as not to overwrite your current data file. That would allow you to pull a report for this security, with the complete history on the old account.

By the way, if you used the "Transfer shares between accounts" function correctly, the lot history of all shares owned at the time you performed the transfer is maintained in the new account register. Only information about prior buy and sell transactions is gone.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HUH ?  did you transfer a security from one brokerage house to another or ???
    The "history" of the security stays with the security itself, across multiple accounts.
    Also - I never "delete" an account, I just make it go to zero, and then move it to the bottom of the Account List, or even Hide it

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you really deleted the "from" Account in your Quicken records - bad form, that - then all the detail and history about securities transferred is gone.  So if you transferred securities from Schwab to Etrade, decided Etrade wan't cutting it for some reason and transferred back to Schwab you either establish a new Schwab Account in Quicken or simply re-name the Etrade Account and then establish the Account's connect to Schwab.
  • Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all for all of your help.

In looking back, I in fact did not delete the old accont, but when I look at the ledger of the security in question in the old account, I see not only the data up to the date of the transfer (over 25 years worth that I need), but also hundreds of entries related to the transfer that are useless to me.  All I need are the entries upp to, but not including, the transfer.

Maybe a better question would be how to delete all of the transfer-related entries from the old account?

Thanks again, and I am very sorry I was not clear.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Assuming that the transfer worked correctly, there is no need to delete any of the related transactions on either side. If you want a performance report that spans the transfer date, just include both accounts. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeffrey Kirk said:
    Thanks to all for all of your help.

In looking back, I in fact did not delete the old accont, but when I look at the ledger of the security in question in the old account, I see not only the data up to the date of the transfer (over 25 years worth that I need), but also hundreds of entries related to the transfer that are useless to me.  All I need are the entries upp to, but not including, the transfer.

Maybe a better question would be how to delete all of the transfer-related entries from the old account?

Thanks again, and I am very sorry I was not clear.
    You are still not being very clear.  Transferring a security from one account to another should entail a Remove Shares in the old (original) account and a series of Add Shares (one transaction for each lot) in the new (receiving) account.  What do you have that is different than that?  

If you delete the "transfer-related entries" from the old account, that account is going to show you hold that security in that account.  That would be inaccurate and undesirable.  

If you have transactions for the transferred security in the old account that are dated after the transfer (thus are not applicable in the old account), you can delete those transactions one at a time from the old account transaction list, OR you can use a Banking Transaction report properly customized and therein select multiple transactions at one time for deletion.  

Please, before doing any of that, make sure you have a good backup to give yourself a recovery point.
This discussion has been closed.