Does Mark as Void exist?

On QWin you can mark a transaction as void. What is the comparable step/action to do under Quicken/Mac? Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Jacobs, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a feature. Thanks!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And for reference, here is an FAQ: 
    How to VOID a transaction

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @smayer97 I respectfully disagree with the first step in your Voiding FAQ. Why create a new payee with the name "voidPayee"? If you simply put a note in the memo field with the word void (e.g. "VOID check #123 for $45.67--never cleared"), you can easily search for it in the future by searching for "void". But my way the voided transaction doesn't create a new payee and will therefore show up in a list of transactions if you search for the original payee name, whereas your way there are two separate payees, the regular and the one with the void prefix. 

(Yes, I know Quicken 2007 put "VOID" in front of the Payee name. I never liked that, and see no reason to manually replicate it in modern Quicken.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an option... this was created when many were looking for something that looked like QM2007. 

But the FAQ does also suggest putting VOID in the Action field too. I just updated it to also include the memo field. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    In Quicken 2007, putting the VOID prefix in front of a payee name didn't create a "memorized" transaction, the way it does in modern Quicken. I see no benefits, but several drawbacks, to creating a new, separate payee when you want to void a payment.

Let's say I write checks to "Bob Smith" and I've voided one. If I do a "quick report" on "Bob Smith", I would want to see the voided check in the list of transactions -- but I wouldn't if I rename the Payee as you're recommending. (And when you edit the Payee name, if you're not watching closely, you can end up renaming all instances of the Payee in your database to the new "voidPayee" name.)

I won't belabor it any more, but I think trying to copy the look of Quicken 2007 in this instance is doing users a disservice. (More so for users coming from Quicken Windows, like the OP here.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.