On-line banking: How to download more than just 90 days of transactions?

My computer died and I lost my .quicken2017 backup.  So I tried to download the transactions from my bank.  They report that Quicken does not allow downloads of more than 90 days of transactions. Is this true?  Is there any way to recover last years transactions so I can do my taxes?

Best Answer

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    90 days is the most common, and there isn't some setting that you can change to get more. Your only attempt would be to download older .qfx web connect files from your bank. . .and that is if they provide them, and they actually contain data.

Quicken doesn't have a way to recover your older transactions, even if you used Mobile. Now you might understand the importance of keeping copied (backups) of your data file off your computer, and offsite as homes can be destroyed.

Answers

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    90 days is the most common, and there isn't some setting that you can change to get more. Your only attempt would be to download older .qfx web connect files from your bank. . .and that is if they provide them, and they actually contain data.

Quicken doesn't have a way to recover your older transactions, even if you used Mobile. Now you might understand the importance of keeping copied (backups) of your data file off your computer, and offsite as homes can be destroyed.
  • jmmccartjmmccart Member
    edited February 16
    Thank you!  I will give it a try.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    It worked.  I cannot thank you enough.  It was simple enough but I was really flustered.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @jmmccart So glad you were able to get your 2018 transactions. Now, as soon as you do your taxes, please look into a more robust backup solution. ;)

The simplest one is to purchase an external hard drive ($100 or less) and turn on the built-in Time Machine backup software that's part of the Mac operating system; it will automatically backup all your data over a long period of time without you needing to do anything. The limitation of Time Machine is fi you have a catastrophe at home -- fire, electric surge, robbery -- you could lose your Mac and your backup drive; a more robust solution would include utilizing a cloud backup service or making a periodic hard drive backup and storing it somewhere other than your home.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • I wish there is a way to download/import.qfx to mac quicken. Very annoying. 
    Quicken User since the DOS days...
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello lablover57. Appreciate your question.

The .QFX files will work with Quicken Mac as well. You can do a File>Import>Bank or Brokerage File (.QFX, .OFX) and choose the .QFX file downloaded from the bank. If Quicken is properly installed, you can also download on the QFX files in your Downloads folder and they will import the transactions straight into the ledger.

Hope this information is helpful.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • lablover57lablover57 Member
    edited March 3
    Thank you, Harold, but it has yet to work for me.  Says download is 'unavailable', yet it did download. I would think it is 'properly' installed...
    Quicken is unable to update this account because Web Connect support for your financial institution has been either temporarily, or permanently discontinued [CC-885)

edited March 3
    @lablover57 Are you referring to importing a QFX file into Quicken not importing the files at all, or Quicken not importing from the Downloads folder?

If the former, do you get an error?

• lablover57lablover57 Member
    edited March 3
    I can download the QFX file from Capital One. It is within Quicken I can't import the QFX file. 
    Quicken not importing from the downloads folder.
    I had never heard of this before, nor could I get it to work. Harold might be referring to  the Win version, or is using some browser that tries to open files when downloaded. 

(Double clicking to open, dragging to the dock icon, or dragging to a Quicken window will all import the file, or prompt you with "Account Discovery" if that file has never seen the QFX before.)

This discussion has been closed.