Subtotaling payees within categories

For taxes, I want to see where I spent my money-and I want Quicken to subtotal payees within the categories so I don't have to go through and do it myself!  I can't seem to make it do that.

Best Answers

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked at the Tax Schedule report? It provides every taxable entry by tax code. Just print it as PDF.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Tax Schedule or Tax summary reports are good, but he (and I) would like it subtotaled by payee, so we can compare Quicken's totals to a bank's 1099 for example. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Tax Schedule or Tax summary reports are good, but he (and I) would like it subtotaled by payee, so we can compare Quicken's totals to a bank's 1099 for example. 
    Jim, only one payee would be on a 1099 ... so I'm not following your statement.
    And why doesn't the Tax Schedule report handle that for you?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mrkittyd
    mrkittyd Member ✭✭
    Although the tax report is ok, there is still no way to total say, charitable contributions by payee without doing it by hand or separate report-ex: weekly church contributions get mixed by date with others throughout the year-you ought to have a choice to subtotal by payee
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    See my reply of 6:53pm today ... about 5 positions up.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Anders Martinson
    Anders Martinson Member ✭✭✭
    A slightly less painful approach might be to run Cash Flow or Spending by Category Report showing just the category totals. You could then Quick Zoom on the category totals one by one to get the detail for that category and subtotal the result by payee. Still a lot of steps and not exactly what you're after, but it might be a start.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    From C. D. Bales:

@Anders Martinson said: "A slightly less painful approach might be to run Cash Flow or Spending by Category Report showing just the category totals".

I think the Cash Flow report can do more work for the user than the Spending by Category report.

The Cash Flow report (as you noted in an earlier reply) can show subtotals for every payee for every category(Categories in rows; Payees in columns - or vice versa) - no requirement to drill down for the subtotals. [But if you need transaction detail, you can drill down for it.]

You can streamline the Cash Flow report by electing to include only "Tax-related" transactions (Customize > Advanced tab). And to reduce the amount of horizontal space the report utilizes, you can elect to round to whole dollars.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.