_IntInc Not Showing in Tax Schedule

Options
wchoff .
wchoff . Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in Reports (Windows)
My category _IntInc is not showing up in my Tax Schedule reporting.  When I check the category list, I see it has been used 700 times.  Under Tax Line Item, it shows the check mark but no description.  The _IntInc line does not allow me to edit the category using RMB or action arrow.  Is this a bug or something that I can fix?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I suggest you reset the _IntInc category:  select Tools > Category ListOptions > Manage Categories, Investment from the Available categories pull-down menu, _IntInc, Add >>, and OK.
  • wchoff .
    wchoff . Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I'm using Quicken 2017 Premier.  CTrl+Shift+C did not make anything appear.  Ctrl+C brought up Category List.  From here I did Options>Manage Categories>_IntInc>Add>OK.  Category List still shows _IntInc with no Tax Line Item description.  Ran Tax Schedule report and still does not show anywhere including under Schedule B item where it should appear.  _DivInc items appear as expected.  On Tax Summary the _IntInc do appear but not on Tax Schedule since I cannot assign Schedule B to the category.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are your IntInc transactions in a retirement account?  Because Retirement account transaction won't show on either of the Tax reports ... because they're not taxable.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• wchoff .
    wchoff . Member ✭✭
    Options
    They are in non-retirement account.  _DivInc items in same account do show on Schedule B.  Problem has to be due to Schedule B not defined in category Tax Line Item and this is not editable by the user.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you haven't already, I suggest you attempt a Copy and Validatehttps://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • wchoff .
    wchoff . Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Copy and Validate performed with no positive impact.  Software up to date too.  Here is the cause of the problem:

• wchoff .
    wchoff . Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for pointing me to the previous post regarding this issue.  It looks like my best approach is to not use Tax Schedule and use Tax Summary as a substitue.  I'm not going to go through the bother of rebuilding my files.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You don't need to rebuild your files, just assign the proper tax lines to the categories that Sherlock referenced ... and the problem will correct itself.
    5 minutes work, MAX.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    To the extent this a recent problem you might look to a backup file to see if it also exhibits the issue. The only way I know this can happen is to go into Tax Planner, tax lines used, and delete the tax line from the Category. Otherwise there is no way to edit or delete a system generated category.

In a test file using tax planner, I deliberately deleted the tax line from _IntInc. I am unable to find a means to restore Schedule B tax line.
  • wchoff .
    wchoff . Member ✭✭
    Options
    NotACPA said:
    You don't need to rebuild your files, just assign the proper tax lines to the categories that Sherlock referenced ... and the problem will correct itself.
    5 minutes work, MAX.
    The problem is the user cannot assign the tax lines to these predefined categories.  They cannot be edited.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The included image from @wchoff . shows all of the built-in categories marked "hidden". Go into the Category List and remove the checkmark in the "Hide" column for each category that you actually use or plan to use in the future. Usage count > 0 is a good indicator of a used category.

• markus1957
    Options
    UKR said:
    The included image from @wchoff . shows all of the built-in categories marked "hidden". Go into the Category List and remove the checkmark in the "Hide" column for each category that you actually use or plan to use in the future. Usage count > 0 is a good indicator of a used category.

That will have no impact on the ability to edit a hidden system generated category. Nor would I agree it is a good practice to unhide the "_xxxx" system categories.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You MOST CERTAINLY should unhide the _xxx categories if you intend to use them.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    UKR said:

That will have no impact on the ability to edit a hidden system generated category. Nor would I agree it is a good practice to unhide the "_xxxx" system categories.
    I'm well aware of that, @markus1957 .
    The procedure to repair broken tax line assignments was previously discussed.
    All I'm saying is: Unhide the categories you actually use so they become visiible in reports, views and the budget without explicitly selecting "show hidden categories".
    And I respectfully disagree with your quoted "good practice" to keep built-in categories hidden. If, as I said, you use a built-in category, unhide it. It's OK to keep the rest hidden.
  • markus1957
    Options
    There is no procedure to repair broken tax line assignments for hidden system categories; that is the lesson of this post. 

You are not the only SU in this post confusing built-in categories with system generated categories. Built-in categories are unhidden by default and can be edited.  As for unhiding system categories (_xxxyyy), there is not much reason to do it. First, there are very few instances where a user should be directly applying a system generated category; those are designed to be applied by Quicken under the hood. Second, reports include the appropriate system categories by default so unhiding them will have little effect.

This post does bring to light that there is a back door that allows a user to inadvertently delete tax line assignments for system generated categories. That should probably be closed or modified so that those actions can be reversed.
This discussion has been closed.