Problem printing using Windows and Quicken (version 12) for Windows (version 7)

I have been using Quicken v12 with Windows v7 for several years and despite people trying to help me with this problem, I cannot print anything from Quicken nor Windows.  I have access to  3 printers: Brother 2240, Brother 2040 and Brother DCP L2550DW.  None of them work despite downloading drivers for each of them or, when possible, using a disk that came with the printer. (2240 no longer supported by Brother).  So I have to take a picture of a report shown on my screen to use to manually enter data into my tax returns.   Some in the online world have told me it's a VM problem; others can't understand the problem.

So, is there a newer version of Quicken that I can use to print reports, etc., or that will accept and use one of the noted printers?  I tried the MAC version of Quicken but that version is not acceptable.  So please advise me as to what I can do to correct this problem.  Thanks.

Ron McGee

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can't print from Windows, you won't be able to print from Quicken. What VM software are you using? Are any of the printers network capable?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Before you'll be able to print from Quicken, you need to be able to print from Windows. 
  • RonMcGee
    RonMcGee Member
    edited February 2019
    I understand the need to print from windows.  However, I left windows long ago and have forgotten how to install a printer driver.  I followed all instructions on how to install a printer driver, including a network printer, but nothing seems to work.  When I install the disk for the network printer windows shows that the driver cannot be found. When I try to install other drivers from the Brother site the drivers install OK but still no printing.  I have tried this with 3 different printers and still  nothing works. I am using Window Home Premium version 7 with parallels version 5.  So I am about at my last resort.  Is there a current version of Quicken/Windows that will print with any printer?  And, needing more help, how the hell to get a driver installed in Windows?

Thanks

Ron McGee
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Applications use the print services provided by the operating system to print.  It sounds like the issue may be with Parallel's support.  You may be able to print to a pdf file from Quicken and then print the pdf file from a different operating system.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RonMcGee said:
    I understand the need to print from windows.  However, I left windows long ago and have forgotten how to install a printer driver.  I followed all instructions on how to install a printer driver, including a network printer, but nothing seems to work.  When I install the disk for the network printer windows shows that the driver cannot be found. When I try to install other drivers from the Brother site the drivers install OK but still no printing.  I have tried this with 3 different printers and still  nothing works. I am using Window Home Premium version 7 with parallels version 5.  So I am about at my last resort.  Is there a current version of Quicken/Windows that will print with any printer?  And, needing more help, how the hell to get a driver installed in Windows?

Thanks

Ron McGee
    @Ron McGee, I removed your email address so you won't get spam. How is the Ethernet adapter for Windows 7 setup in Parallels? It should be pas-thru so the IP address of your Windows 7 VM is in the same address tange as your Mac and printers. Please post the IP address of each device.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.