Quicken shows payments to send but none exist

The account bar shows the "Send" envelope next to one checking account and the Home screen has a red flag next to the same account. Also, the Bills and Income tab shows "1 Payment ready to be sent". However, examining the Bills and Income details and the "Manage Manual Bills and Income" tab, no payments to "Send" show up. If I do a "Send Now" or "Update", there are no payment details shown on the Update tab. If I select a single bill and "Enter" it, the Bills and Income tab shows "2 Payments ready to be sent", however the update tab only shows the details for the one bill that was entered.  Whenever I exit the application, Quicken pops up a message saying "You have online payments to send. Do you want to send them before exiting?"
I have talked with Quicken Support, shared my screen and run a couple of "Validate and Repairs".
Somehow an internal flag has been set that will not reset regardless of the number of updates that are performed.
Please help if you can as this is getting pretty irritating after more than a month.
Thanks.

Best Answer

• phdgolf
    phdgolf Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Hi Sarah,

I had done nothing since our last communications.  However this past Tuesday, the ghost payment disappeared immediately after a one step update where I sent in some payments for April.  It has not reappeared since.  To my knowledge no Quicken updates have taken place, so I have no clue how it fixed itself.

Thanks again for all your help with this.  Very strange but all is good now.  Have a great weekend.

Best regards,

Duane

PS - I tried replying directly to the email from you at the community and received the following error.

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<[email protected]>:

550: 5.4.1 [[email protected]]: Recipient address rejected: Access denied [CO1NAM04FT059.eop-NAM04.prod.protection.outlook.com]

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sort your register by Check # and scroll down to the end. There should be a future dated entry that needs to be addressed. Then sort back by date.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • phdgolf
    phdgolf Member ✭✭
    Hi GeoffG,
    Did as you suggested for the account the account in question and the other account we process payments from. For both accounts, there are no future dated entries past 3/11/2019. All entries dated between 2/22/2019 and 3/11/2019 have been transmitted and processed or awaiting processing. There are some transactions that do not have the lightening bolt icon, but most are VOID and all are cleared.
    Thanks for your help but I still think it's some type of internal flag that somehow did not get reset.
    Best regards
  • phdgolf
    phdgolf Member ✭✭
    For the past 2 weeks Quicken is saying I have 1 payment to send, but there are none.  I have run Validate and Repair at least 3 times in that span and one of the messages I get in the log is:
    QEL:Removed 1 qel records for payments not in register
    I would like to get more detail on this message and possibly try and find the record and examine it.
    Thanks for any help.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello phdgolf,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

Typically this behavior will occur when Quicken has a "stuck" payment record in the back-end database of the data file.  

The Validate & Repair message about "QEL: Removed 1 qel record for payments not in register" is explaining that Quicken found a payment record in the internal database that does not have a corresponding transaction in the register and so the record was removed as part of the Validate & Repair process.  QEL is an internal term for bill payment records.

The record being removed should have also cleared the message about sending payments when closing Quicken, but it sounds as though that message is still occurring.  Is that correct?

I also took the liberty of reviewing the contact with Support and understand that a payment was edited to change the date and this issue started occurring after that change was made, is that also correct?

If so, when viewing the register for the account with the "send" envelope, are any transactions listed with the word "Send" in the Check # column?

If not, please go to the File menu > File Operations > Copy and create a copy of the data file. Creating a copy of the file through this pathway rebuilds the internal database tables and typically will resolve many issues such as this.

Please open the copied file when prompted and go back to the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option. Mark only the Validate File box and click OK.

When the Validation has completed, be sure to close and re-open Quicken - this forces a refresh of those internal database tables and ensures any changes are retained.

With Quicken open once more, does the Flag and message about sending payments still appear?

Please let us know, thank you!

Sarah
  • phdgolf
    phdgolf Member ✭✭
    Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for the help with this - really thought it would work.  Below are the steps I took as suggested by you with your text and my actions on each step in italics.
    1-If so, when viewing the register for the account with the "send" envelope, are any transactions listed with the word "Send" in the Check # column?  Sorted register by check # and found none.
    2-If not, please go to the File menu > File Operations > Copy and create a copy of the data file. Creating a copy of the file through this pathway rebuilds the internal database tables and typically will resolve many issues such as this.  Done - created QuickenCpy.QDF, closed Quicken.
    3-Please open the copied file when prompted and go back to the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option. Mark only the Validate File box and click OK.  Done - Opened QuickenCpy.QDF and executed Validate & Repair -> Validate.  Validate Log DID NOT show any QEL errors.
    4-When the Validation has completed, be sure to close and re-open Quicken - this forces a refresh of those internal database tables and ensures any changes are retained. Done - renamed Quicken.QDF to QuickenOld.QDF and renamed QuickenCpy.QDF to Quicken.QDF, then re-opened Quicken. "Send" envelope icon was on for payment checking account. Also checked Bills & Income tab and the "1 Payment ready to be sent" was also displayed.

At this point I proceeded with my normal evening routine - ran Update for all accounts, accepted all new transactions, entered 6 new payments for March and ran another update to sent 7(6 + the 1 false) new payments and update Quicken portfolio.  After update send icon was still there as was 1 Payment ready to be sent message in Bills & Income tab.  I did not run another Validate & Repair and exited Quicken - however, my guess is that if I did there would be 1 QEL error.

Please let me know if I did anything incorrectly and if you have any other suggestions.  Thanks very much again for your kind assistance.

Best regards,
    Duane
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hi Duane,

I apologize for the delay in response and thank you so much for the detailed message, although I'm sorry to hear the message to send the payment still persists.

I would recommend restoring a back-up copy of your data file, just prior to when this issue occurred.  In the restored back-up, create a copy through the File menu > File Operations > Copy option and open the copied file when prompted.

Creating the copy just ensures you have a good back-up copy of the file, just in case 

In the copied file, then please run the One Step Update to bring the accounts back up to date.  The notice about sending the payment should be gone and not return, but please let me know how it goes.

Thank you again,

Sarah
  • dacusg
    dacusg Member
    I get the "you have online payments to send"  error every time I close quicken.  I have nothing to send it has all been sent.  At one time even the Online Center Payments area was completely blank.  But I still get the error every time I try to close quicken.  Help please
  • Quicken Sarah
    dacusg said:
    I get the "you have online payments to send"  error every time I close quicken.  I have nothing to send it has all been sent.  At one time even the Online Center Payments area was completely blank.  But I still get the error every time I try to close quicken.  Help please
    Hello @dacusg

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community. 

I've merged your question with a previous post on this topic, please let us know if any of the above steps help to resolve the payments to send error message when closing Quicken.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • phdgolf
    phdgolf Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Hi Sarah,

I had done nothing since our last communications.  However this past Tuesday, the ghost payment disappeared immediately after a one step update where I sent in some payments for April.  It has not reappeared since.  To my knowledge no Quicken updates have taken place, so I have no clue how it fixed itself.

Thanks again for all your help with this.  Very strange but all is good now.  Have a great weekend.

Best regards,

Duane

PS - I tried replying directly to the email from you at the community and received the following error.

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<[email protected]>:

550: 5.4.1 [[email protected]]: Recipient address rejected: Access denied [CO1NAM04FT059.eop-NAM04.prod.protection.outlook.com]
This discussion has been closed.