"Overlapping" operations Dividend reinvestment & stock split

What is the best way to enter 2 operations with "conflicting" record dates?
Example: Dividend reinvestment on 5/1/90, followed by a stock split on 5/2/90. The split record date precedes 5/1/90. So I can't split the shares I don't "have" for that operation. How can I make Quicken understand that the new shares from the div reinv cannot be split?
One option appears to be move the dividend reinvestment to 5/3/90 and then the only issues would be the "incorrect" transaction date for the div reinv shares and the dividend rate per share.
Is there a better way?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What company, so that we can research ourselves?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• D Bunker
    D Bunker Member ✭✭
    US West
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused.  You're worried about a stock div date for a company that hasn't existed for over 18 years???
    I've got better things to do here.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• D Bunker
    D Bunker Member ✭✭
    I am calculating the current cost basis for AT&T and US West is part of that calculation.
    The question can be considered more generally, what to do when there is a "conflict" between 2 operations and record dates.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not hesitate to re-date such transactions.  Move the stock split back or the ReinvDiv forward.  Either one should work. 

Option 2) with the split recorded after the ReinvDiv == Change the div shares accordingly.  i.e., you reinvested and got 1 share, the next day it became 2 shares or 1.5 or whatever split applies.