Can't get security name to show in Security column of an investment account

I've set up investing account CP RAIL J TFSA. (I also have an account CP RAIL, which is not a TFSA.) I enter in the CP RAIL J TFSA account date, #shares, $value and the transfer account. When I hit enter, window pops up, "Security name required". I click add security, window pops up "Enter symbol or name". I enter TSE:CP. I select Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd., hit next. Window pops up, "Review the details for this new security". I change the name from Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. to CP RAIL J TFSA, hit next, done. In the past, whenever I set up an investment account, the security in the portfolio would be automatically set up. I did not have to do anything.
Two issues I have: 1. When I view the security list, CP RAIL J TFSA is not on the list. Why?
                               2. In the CP RAIL J TFSA account, the only security I can enter in the security column is CP RAIL. The entry should be CP RAIL J TFSA. How do I correct this?

I have several other accounts with similar names but with slight variants as the ones just mentioned, and the security column entry is always the same as the name of the account, i.e., account Bank of Nova Scotia, security column reads Bank of Nova Scotia; Bank of Nova Scotia J TFSA, security column reads Bank of Nova Scotia J TFSA.

joe

Best Answers

• joe2774
    joe2774 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the prompt response. I wish I could have responded as quickly with my thanks.

As per the above 2 questions, I have managed to get things corrected for now, but I do have some other issues. I’ll start with issue number1 :

In the portfolio view, when I click on SHOW: VALUE, GROUP by: ACCOUNTS, the CP Rail Rail J TFSA account is not displayed. Account is displayed in HISTORICAL PERFORMANCE and RECENT PERFORMANCE. This only seems to happen on   CP Rail Rail J TFSA. My other accounts are displayed correctly and I have quite a few accounts.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    If you are owning the same security in two or more investment accounts, you can do so without inventing a duplicate security. Quicken can keep your entries separate by account.
    In the Portfolio views, if you want to see which account has how many CP shares, just change the view to "Group by: Account"
    Another situation that may occur is that you accidentally created the new security with an incorrect Security Type of "Market Index" when it should have been "Stock", etc.
    Or, you have marked the new security as "hidden".
  • joe2774
    joe2774 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the prompt response. I wish I could have responded as quickly with my thanks.

As per the above 2 questions, I have managed to get things corrected for now, but I do have some other issues. I’ll start with issue number1 :

In the portfolio view, when I click on SHOW: VALUE, GROUP by: ACCOUNTS, the CP Rail Rail J TFSA account is not displayed. Account is displayed in HISTORICAL PERFORMANCE and RECENT PERFORMANCE. This only seems to happen on   CP Rail Rail J TFSA. My other accounts are displayed correctly and I have quite a few accounts.

This discussion has been closed.