Subcategory Budgets Rolling Up To Category Budget

Good Day Quicken Community!

Problem statement is this - I'm wondering why budgets in sub categories don't roll up to the category as the expense does.  I had an old category called "Home Repair" that I recently moved as a sub category under "Home" to join several. others.  As a Category, it had its own budget.  But as a sub category to "Home", its budget is not rolling up.

I then edited the [Home Repair] subcategory thinking that the program would be triggered to roll up the dollars to the top level category.  It did not.

How should the program work?
Chris

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Chris,

Can you explain what you mean by "Roll Up"?

Is the issue that the amount under "Home Repair" isn't added to the "Home" category?

Is the problem with an amount or the position of the category on the budget?

Let us know..

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I see what you mean. Actually, you don't have any goals set for the other subs listed, but the parent should at least pick up that $3029 from the Home Repair.

Instead of editing Home Repair, what happens if you actually remove it from the budget, save, and re-add it in? 

If you let it create a brand new budget (simply for testing), does the goal amount correctly get applied to the new parent category?

• Chris Mead
    Chris Mead Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Tyka,
    The category, "Home Repair" has a budget of 2500 in January 2019.  It used to be a stand alone account.  I moved "Home Repair" under the main category "Home."  But look at the budget for Home in January.  It is zero.  I would have expected it to be the total of the budget sub categories.  I would have expected it to be 2500.  

However, the actual cost of 49 in January in the sub category "Home Repair" did roll up to home which also reports as 49.  That's what I mean by roll up.

Why doesn't quicken add the sub category budgets together to the top level category like it does for actual costs?

John - yes, you are looking at the Jan-March summary time frame.  That is the same issue I described.

Chris
  • Chris Mead
    Chris Mead Member ✭✭✭
    After the above post, I decided to do an experiment as John said.

1. I removed the 2500 in January subcategory 'Home Repair."  I saw that the top level category "Home" went to -2500!
    2. I put back the 2500 in the sub category and the -2500 at the top one to zero.  Hmmm...
    3. I removed the 2500 from January and then "zeroed out" the top level Home category.  The I put back the 2500 in the sub and voila, it rolled up to the top level.

It's like Quicken tries to lock in the costs but doesn't know how to do it.  

But though some manipulation, I got the roll up to work.

Try it!

Chris
This discussion has been closed.