Download Quotes Downloads Securities That Are Unchecked

The Merg
The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
I am using H&B 2016 R19.5 on Windows. I have two securities whose values are not available publicly, but they do have a symbol according to the investment website. Since prices for these funds are not available for download, I went into the Security List and unchecked the "Download Quotes" box. I am finding though that whenever I perform a OSU that Quicken is listing the price of the fund for that day as $0. Of course, this then messes up the value of my portfolio as it thinks the price of two of my funds have dropped to $0.

Is there any way to keep Quicken from updating the price to $0? Or do I need to remove the symbol I have listed in Quicken?

For those curious, one of the funds listed is Fidelity Contrafund Comm Pl with symbol FCFCP.

Thanks,
Merg

Best Answers

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the prices coming from transaction download or quote download? You should be able to run these two separately to determine the source of the pricing data. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    mshiggins said:
    Are the prices coming from transaction download or quote download? You should be able to run these two separately to determine the source of the pricing data. 
    While I am having the Investment account download transactions, there are no transactions being downloaded on these days, so I always assumed it was getting the information from the Download Quotes

I will do a OSU without Download Quotes and see if the Price History is still updated.

Thanks,
    Merg
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I'm also a Fidelity customer, of the "Private Client Group".  And the only "Fidelity Contrafund" that I could find on their site is FCNTX.
    A search at Fidelity for FCPCP found nothing, and a Google search found nothing relevant to Fidelity Investments
    SO,  is your funds, perhaps, purchased thru some Advisor ... or some other 3rd party other than Fidelity Investments itself?
    In my wife's 403b account, there are MANY funds that have names that suggest that they're related to well known investment companies ... but they're totally different, with different prices, different fees, etc. 

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    ps56k said:
    Thanks for the lead.  Don't know why I couldn't find it.  BUT, note what I've highlighted from that link.  I doubt that it CAN be downloaded into Q.

• The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Okay, so here's the deal...

Quicken has no issue in downloading the transactions for the funds in question. I understand that since these are private funds that the price for them may not download. I am more than capable of looking up the price every now and then and update it manually in Quicken. :)

The problem I am having is that Quicken will set the price at $0.00 on any day that I attempt to download transactions for the funds. I have the setting for "Download Quotes" turned off for these funds and it still sets the Price for $0 for them. As a test, I have even removed the Symbol from one of the funds and Quicken still set the price for the fund at $0 after I did a transaction download.

When I have it do a download via OSU of transactions only and no quotes, the Price History is apparently still being updated. I found that both quotes still had the price of $0 added to the Price History for 2/27. Apparently, this is a bug in Quicken if it is ignoring the Download Quotes setting plus it is even creating a Price History for a fund that has no symbol.

- Merg
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What your testing proves is that your brokerage is sending the $0 prices.  That data is not coming from the Download Quotes feature; it is coming from the Download Transactions.  It is common and usual for brokerages to send prices for all securities held.in an account as of a specific day. 

Your brokerage is sending $0 as the share price and Quicken is in no position to argue with that - they have to go along with the brokerage provided data.  

The Download Quotes checkbox only applies to the Download Quotes feature within Quicken.  That checkbox has never applied to quotes coming through brokerage connections. It has never been intended to apply to brokerage connections.  

This is not a bug in Quicken.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could also verify this activity by either downloading directly from the financial bank website, and SAVE the download file - and just look at the file with Notepad to see the transactions.
    OR - use Quicken to display the most recent download file...
    --> Help --> Log Files --> OFX.LOG  .... scroll toward bottom of file

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    ps56k said:
    You could also verify this activity by either downloading directly from the financial bank website, and SAVE the download file - and just look at the file with Notepad to see the transactions.

Okay. thanks. What am I looking for in the log file? Is there an actual line where it will show the price of the fund being downloaded?

- Merg
  • The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    Off topic... Well, that was strange... I replied to q_lurker and it said that my post will appear after it has been approved. I replied to ps56k and my post appeared immediately...

- Merg
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The Merg said:
    ps56k said:

Okay. thanks. What am I looking for in the log file? Is there an actual line where it will show the price of the fund being downloaded?

- Merg
    YES. First, starting at the bottom of the file, search UP for the funds symbol.  The quote/price should be very close to that field.
    Here's an example from my OFX Log:
    <SECNAME>FIDELITY SELECT TECHNOLOGY<TICKER>FSPTX<UNITPRICE>14.7900000

• The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    @q_lurker:

Okay, so I did say I that was going to agree with you except for one thing, which was that I had removed the symbol from one of the securities and it was still updating the Price History to $0.00. 

In looking at the OFX Log, I saw that the unit price was matched to the fund via another field and not the Ticker Symbol. In looking in Quicken, I found that at the bottom of the Edit Security option is a checkbox to "Match with online security". Apparently, even if you change/remove the Symbol from a security, but leave that box checked, Quicken still has the on-line security and your security in Quicken linked together. Once I unchecked that box, the price was not updated.

Of course, that leads to a different issue. When I do the transaction download, Quicken sees that I have a fund that is not linked to the funds it is downloading and asks me if they are the same. If I say yes, well, the problem starts all over again. The other option is to say that the funds are different and have it create a new fund in Quicken. Also, not what you want.

So, it seems that my only option is to manually go in and delete the $0 Price each day after I download my transactions.

- Merg
  • The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    The Merg said:
    @q_lurker:

So, it seems that my only option is to manually go in and delete the $0 Price each day after I download my transactions.

- Merg
    Correct.  Or get the brokerage to send the real price.

(Glad they approved your post.  This new forum is still in the infancy stage for Quicken.)
    My original reply to you hasn't been approved yet. I just posted another comment after I did some more research into it. Still not quite sure why that one comment needs to be approved and all my others post without issue.

- Merg
  • The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    What your testing proves is that your brokerage is sending the $0 prices.  That data is not coming from the Download Quotes feature; it is coming from the Download Transactions.  It is common and usual for brokerages to send prices for all securities held.in an account as of a specific day. 

Your brokerage is sending $0 as the share price and Quicken is in no position to argue with that - they have to go along with the brokerage provided data.  

The Download Quotes checkbox only applies to the Download Quotes feature within Quicken.  That checkbox has never applied to quotes coming through brokerage connections. It has never been intended to apply to brokerage connections.  

This is not a bug in Quicken.
    I would agree except for one thing. For one of the funds, I removed the symbol, so for all purposes, the fund is just something that I am maintaining manually. Without the symbol, there should be no way for Quicken to know that the information being downloaded from the brokerage is related to that fund then, yet Quicken still adds into the Price History.

- Merg
  • The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    So, for those interested, it does appear to be an issue with T Rowe Price. I ended up being referred to their technical support and had an issue created. I was called back a few days later and they had me create a new datafile with just those funds. The initial download appeared to download a price history with amounts for each quarter to include 3/1, which was the last business day. However, once I performed a OSU, the amount on 3/1 reverted back to $0. They are re-escalating my issue.

- Merg
  • The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I just heard back from T Rowe Price. They are booting the issue to Quicken. According to them, they are providing all the correct information, so if it is not displaying correctly there is an issue with Quicken. If Quicken Support passes the buck back to T Rowe Price, I need to take a screenshot of what I am seeing and then contact them again so they can re-open my case. I have already sent my OFX log to T Rowe Price, which should have shown them that the price being downloaded for the funds is showing as $0.

- Merg
  • The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I'd seen it somewhere before, but is there a way to grab the data that OSU is downloading from a financial institution? On the T Rowe Price website, I don't see an option for a manual download of Quicken data. While I gather that the OFX log should be accurate as to what it is showing as the price of the funds, I was hoping to see what the actual values that were downloaded as I really think this is a T Rowe Price issue and not a Quicken issue.

- Merg
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OFX log is the usual way to document what was sent during an OSU session.

You can see Quicken's interpretation of the most recent downloaded data by going to Tools > Online Center, selecting the FI, selecting the account if necessary, and clicking on Holdings.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OFX log is the usual way to document what was sent during an OSU session.
    I believe you can also locate ('filename'OFXLOG.DAT I think in your data file folder) and rename that existing file.  Quicken will start a new version next time around.  If from the Account Transaction List, you choose Update Now (Ctrl-Alt-U) you should only get the barebones minimum from TRP and Quicken rather than all your OSU accounts downloaded and loaded into that new OFXLOG file.

HTH
  • The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    So, I had created a blank data file and added only the T Rowe Price account. I had done an initial download and one OSU. The two funds in question reverted to a price of $0. I decided to call T Rowe Price on their punt to Quicken and screen captured the account in Quicken as well as taking a screen capture of the <UNITPRICE>0.00 line in the OFXLOG file.

The only time that shows up is at the very end of the log. I also noticed that the two funds in question have their symbol as "PRIVATE-XXXX". The tech thought that might be significant, but who knows. My case was re-escalated again, so we will see what happens.

- Merg
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the symbol as significant.  The key with FI downloads is that FI security is matched to the correct security in Quicken and that usually seems to operate through CUSIP identifiers.  For Vanguard, they will use the CUSIP identifier through the transactions and account summary.  At the end of the OFX data, they present all funds and securities for all accounts tying the CUSIP to fund name and ticker.  Though they include the current (asofddate) price in the transaction and account summary information, I believe it is the price at the end summary that Quicken uses.  
  • The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    I don't see the symbol as significant.  The key with FI downloads is that FI security is matched to the correct security in Quicken and that usually seems to operate through CUSIP identifiers.  For Vanguard, they will use the CUSIP identifier through the transactions and account summary.  At the end of the OFX data, they present all funds and securities for all accounts tying the CUSIP to fund name and ticker.  Though they include the current (asofddate) price in the transaction and account summary information, I believe it is the price at the end summary that Quicken uses.  

Yeah, while the tech mentioned that it could be part of the issue, I wasn't so sure about that. I think the OFXLog shows pretty clear that TRP is sending the value for UnitPrice as being $0 at the end of the download. They just need to figure out why that is happening and hopefully fix it.

- Merg
This discussion has been closed.