Order of stock transactions

Can I reorder stock transactions? I read about drag and drop for banking transactions. Is there a way to change the order of 2 investment transactions on the same day. I have several dividend reinvestments and returns of capital which need to be ROC first.
In general, for same day stock transactions, is there a Quicken default order (PEMDAS, alphabetical, etc.) or is that determined by order of manual entry? Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe investment transactions for the same day are recorded in the order you entered them or if downloaded, the order you accepted them. The only way I know of to change the order would be to delete and re-enter in the order you want.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • D Bunker
    D Bunker Member ✭✭
    Thanks again Jim. That may be the right answer, but it was not the answer that I wanted to hear. Do it right the time first! Oops, do it right the first time!
    This kind of mistake is difficult to detect and avoid. The effect is only on the lots, not the overall cost basis. It becomes apparent, however, upon the sale of fractional shares with the wrong cost basis.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your other option is to fib - and redate the one set or the other.  Advance the RtrnCap to an earlier date or delay the ReinvDiv by a day.  No real consequences I can think of, but I would be more inclined to adjust the date of the RtrnCap. 

After the redating of the RtrnCap, be sure to check the basis adjustment.  Even with that I might foresee the by-lot adjustment getting misapplied, in which case deletion and re-entry of the RtrnCap might become necessary
  • D Bunker
    D Bunker Member ✭✭
    Interesting. I tried to see if I could re-date a stock transaction and found that Quicken would not allow them to be dated later (delayed), only earlier. I thought that I might delay the dividend reinvestment by 1 day, then move it back to the original date and since it would then be entered second, the order would be correct. Not possible.
    I would agree that predating the RtrnCap would appear to be pretty benign. Nevertheless, I elected to delete and re-enter. I copied and pasted each lot's ReinvDiv data to a Word document (Crtl-C, Alt tab, Crtl-V, Alt tab, tab to the next field, etc.), then deleted the Quicken ReinvDiv entry, and finally re-entered the data, again pasting from Word. This avoids typos. Once you get the rhythm, it goes pretty quickly.
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.