How to handle HSA reimbursements?

I write an $88 check for a dental bill.  Then I get a check in reimbursement from my Health Savings Account, which I enter as a transfer from my HSA to my checking account.  Is there now a way to show in my "medical-doctor" category that this $88 has been reimbursed?  I think it required a journal entry in Quickbooks (it's been years since I used QB), but maybe this isn't possible with Quicken?

Best Answers

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I think you are overthinking this or letting QBs confuse you.

You have the transactions setup correctly, assuming the check you wrote is what is marked as "medical-doctor." The check reimbursement is really just a transfer like you have setup: you are moving money from the HSA over to checking. 

You aren't reimbursing the "Medical-Doctor" category. You spent $88 at the dentist, and that is who it will show up on reports, etc. Don't let QB tempt you into thinking that categories are accounts you are moving $ into and from. They are not.
  • Tim13
    Tim13 Member ✭✭
    I guess my expectation is that a category report will show a net figure.  Currently, if I were to run a tax report, it would show I spent $88 at the dentist, when in fact, after reimbursement for that $88, I spent zero.
  • Tim13
    Tim13 Member ✭✭
    Good point Jacobs.  This is a small account, actually called a "Flex Plan" (which may not actually technically be an HSA, I don't know).  It's not funded from payroll deductions, but from small contributions from certain employers, per a union contract. So the money in the account is essentially additional income, not my money.
  • Tim13
    Tim13 Member ✭✭
    Thanks to both of you!
This discussion has been closed.