Stock with negative "value" but no shares?

Options
I have one USD stock that shows a negative balance (market value), though it has a zero dollar cost basis and no shares. Any ideas on how to fix this? It was acquired as part of a Honeywell spinoff, the return of capital was to record the cash for the stock fraction.
I have run a transaction report, and don't see anything strange...except that the "market value" matches the return of capital entry? This sequence of transactions is what I use for all spin-offs - without any issues like this.
I have validated data and rebuilt lots - no change.

Using Quicken since sometime before the beta test of Quicken 6 for Windows in 1996... B)

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Across several versions of Quicken RtrnCap has seemed to behave in unexpected ways. I mostly have found issues with multiple lot holdings but overall, I have tried to avoid that transaction type. I think they probably have it right in the current subscription program.

i was only suggesting to delete and reenter the one transaction. 

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It may be a share balance remaining that goes beyond the .0000 displayed. Have you tried "Sell all shares" option?
  • Microfiche
    Microfiche Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I had not - but it was worth a shot! 

Using Quicken since sometime before the beta test of Quicken 6 for Windows in 1996... B)
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What version of Quicken?
    Under what version was the RtrnCap entered?
    You may need to delete and re-enter that transaction. 

" the return of capital was to record the cash for the stock fraction."
    Normally the cash-in-lieu of a fractional share is treated as a sale of that fractional share.  

You might also check out this discussion -- https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/19821276#Comment_19821276 -- that goes into some of that spinoff info.
  • Microfiche
    Microfiche Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks @q_lurker - currently using Quicken H&B 2019 Canadian. Version R16.18 Build 27.1.16.18
    I would have entered those transactions with whatever the current version was at the time. I have tried using the spin-off function a few times, but it never comes up with a book value that I can reconcile. So I now just do a return of capital on the originating stock, and buy the spin-off stock with the "cash". Then I do a return of capital on those shares if there is a stock fraction, and the book value for the spin-off works out correctly. I had tried selling the fraction, but that too seemed to bugger up the book value as compared to my brokerage statements. I have a number of these every year now, and have never had an issue before...
    So are you suggesting I try deleting all the transactions I did and instead do a spin-off? Or just re-doing the one RtrnCap?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Across several versions of Quicken RtrnCap has seemed to behave in unexpected ways. I mostly have found issues with multiple lot holdings but overall, I have tried to avoid that transaction type. I think they probably have it right in the current subscription program.

i was only suggesting to delete and reenter the one transaction. 
  • Microfiche
    Microfiche Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @q_lurker got it right. I tried to post in here earlier but they had closed it and accepted the wrong answers. It was reopened so I could accept the correct answer.
This discussion has been closed.