Adding a New Security that can Share a Ticker symbol

Options
Want to be able to keep track of lots of stock int he same account that were given to me...
I have 10 shares of my own  XYZ and  25 Shares that we given to me of XYZ
Ideally i would like to create a security called XYZ - Mine and XYZ gift....  but both having the XYZ ticker symbol.

thanks for the help on this

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rather than different security names, just use Tax Lots to distinguish the 2.  You're already owned shares will be one (or perhaps more) tax lots ... and the new 25 would be a different tax lot with an entirely different acquisition date and cost basis.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• JustStephen
    JustStephen Member ✭✭
    Options
    thanks for the response... but i would like to report them separately... i not found a way to report performance of an account by security and Lot...

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @sherlock, then how does the security without a ticker symbol get it's quotes/price updated?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NotACPA said:
    @sherlock, then how does the security without a ticker symbol get it's quotes/price updated?
    You didn't read the entire post:

Sherlock said:
    Then, edit the new security and assign the ticker symbol.

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    If you download from your broker, you may get an “error” when you compare to the online balance because only one of those two securities will be matched to online. (I have your situation but not in the same account).  If you get that error it may give you several options such as renaming, etc.  I suggest you choose the option to do nothing.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

This discussion has been closed.