Can't download American Express and also can't change to Direct Connect

Options
I'm getting "FI_WEBSITE_UNAVAILABLE: ccscrape.105:URL. Mostly this happens when American Express block Intuit Ips" -- in looking up past problems like this I see instructions to change to Direct Connect but when I try that the Direct Connect option and button are grayed out.

Quicken Deluxe 2019 for Mac Version 5.11.0 (Build 511.25626.100) on macOS 10.14.3

Best Answer

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @soulman  Harold's statement above refers to Quicken Connect. It should not prevent you from changing to and having success with Direct Connect. Make sure you are using the FI Name "American Express". 

How are you going about trying to change the connection type? You should be able to open the account settings and choose "Change Connection Type".

If that is not working, then I would try Account Settings > Troubleshooting > Deactivate Downloads. Then set up again choosing Direct Connect.

If that fails, then I'd try making a new account set up as Direct Connect. If that works, then you can select and drag all the old transactions to the new account then delete the old account.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello RickO. 

As previously mentioned, all 3rd party aggregation is blocked from American Express, Quicken / Express Web Connect AND Direct Connect.

When trying to add a Direct Connect account, it reports a HTTP 500 (Internal Server Error):

@soulman : We apologize for the inconvenience.

~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • RickO
    Options
    Okay, then how do you explain that I just connected to American Express using Direct Connect successfully two minutes ago?
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @RickO : It's a case-by-case connectivity issue, I guess. We have been notified that all 3rd party traffic is being blocked. We have no further information.

~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • acsaxman
    acsaxman Member
    Options
    I was trying to set up AMEX on Quicken Deluxe 2019, completely new account, and got error messages from both web connect and direct connect.
  • soulman
    soulman Member ✭✭
    Options
    FWIW, my credit card is with American Express Delta Skymiles. Delete/reset/new doesn't work. AMEX's AI chatbot suggested a manual download of qfx files but these don't go back more than 90 days and don't integrate into the existing account, so no joy. Finally I got a human on AMEX chat who noted it is a known problem and they're working on it, so what Quicken Harold said, I'll keep trying.
  • RickO
    Options
    Yeah, if you can't use FI "American Express", then D/C is not going to be available.

I can't help with the 90 day issue, but you can download the QFX file and import it into a new account. Then select all those transactions, drag and drop them onto the existing account in the sidebar, then delete the (now empty) new account. This way you can "force" it to integrate with the existing account.
This discussion has been closed.