Quicken spending reports, unrealized gains and losses appear in both Income/Expenses

RKazar
RKazar Member
edited February 2019 in Reports (Windows)
In my Quicken spending reports, unrealized gains and losses appear in both the income and expense sections. The total is correct, but I'm not sure why the amount is split between income and expense. There does not seem to be a pattern to why some unrealized gains show in the expense section vs. the income section.

Best Answer

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    updated your posting title to include a basic question

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    If you haven’t already, I suggest you examine the type of the categories used in the transactions.  Entries using categories with a type of Income should appear in the Income section of the report where as entries using categories with a type of Expense should appear in the Expense section of the report.  Transfers from accounts should be Income and transfers to accounts should be Expense.
  • RKazar
    RKazar Member
    The categories used on the spending report for unrealized gains / losses are not user created - Quicken creates them when the reports are run. The amounts are based on the differences between cost and fair market value of securities in investment accounts. 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which specific report & customization ---> Reports --> Spending ?? ---> ???

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• RKazar
    RKazar Member
    income/Expense By Category with the advanced option set to include unrealized gain/loss
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hmmm.... just looked at mine, and I have no UN-realized gain/loss anywhere.
    Even though Quicken has the checkbox for it - how do you have a unrealized gain/loss in a "spending" report - when is usually associated with an "investment" account.
    In the spending scenario - you either received actual income, or paid out actual dollars, there is (in my mind) no accrued value/loss - how would that happen ??

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• RKazar
    RKazar Member
    Try including all accounts - including investment accounts. The report is under Spending, but the report I'm using is called Income and Expense by category which in my mind includes income and expense from investments and would include income from unrealized gains and losses on investments. 

Ultimately, I think Quicken gets the right answer, but why are investment gains and losses shown in two accounts - an income account and an expense account.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    - Interesting.... so I basically clicked on one of our "Schwab stock investment" accounts to add to this "Spending" report - the result that I am seeing....
    A DAILY listing of the value of each stock, and it is listed with the unrealized gain/loss and duplicated in both the Income and the Expense sections of the report. 
    So yes, we see the same thing, but not sure why I would ever want to mix investment info with banking/spending info.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    In my case, the _UnrlzdGain entry as an Expense appears to be associated with the sale and transfer (SoldX) of holdings on the same date.
  • RKazar
    RKazar Member
    Thanks for the comments, but I'm trying to run an Income and Expense report. It's related to, but not the same as a spending report, and I'm my opinion with the recent market volatility an important report. My unrealized gain/loss appears to be arbitrarily split between the income and expense sections of the P&L. Quicken gets the correct answer in total, but I don't want to add two numbers to get what I think should be shown as one number. Additionally, sometimes the unrealized gain/loss in the expense section is negative (red), so I have to remember to add that number to unrealized gain/loss in the income section. 

It's confusing and I still don't know why it's happening.  
  • It appears the Comparison report of Income / Expense gets Unrealized Gain right all under Income but the report showing all the months without selecting a Comparison gets it wrong bu distributing Unrealized Gain between Income and Expense.
  • Hopefully, Quicken will see all these comments and fix the bug in the next update.
This discussion has been closed.