What's the best report for: "What amount should I set my budget to so I don't overspend?"

Chris Harris
Chris Harris Member ✭✭✭✭
I'm trying to set up my personal budget amounts and am not very sure how to best answer this question.  I've tried using the Planning > Budgets, but it seems that doing it from a report might be easier.

Essentially, I want to know how much money I have left to spend in other categories if I set food to $500, $450, etc.  It seems like this would be a simple question, but I'm having a really difficult time figuring it out.

Any advice on the best report, or maybe a different approach entirely?

Chris
Quicken user since 2014.
Using Quicken Windows Subscription on Windows 10.

Best Answer

Answers

• Chris Harris
    Chris Harris Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the feedback.  Admittedly I haven't.  I've probably made it way more complex than it needs to be.

I'm intrigued.  Is the second one some form of replicating the Envelopes system in Quicken?  I've never heard of this.  As you spend, you deduct that amount from the total remaining on the reminder?

Chris
    Quicken user since 2014.
    Using Quicken Windows Subscription on Windows 10.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking of the second option as more of a cash flow management technique, but yes it could be used as an envelope process. 

There are lots of ways to track what you want in Quicken, some take more work than others. You'll want to experiment and find the best fit for you. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.