Dragging and Dropping to Match Transactions

I am unable to drag one transaction on top of another to eliminate the duplicates in my bank transactions after a Quicken for Mac download. For example, I have a certain amount automatically deposited in my checking account every month. I enter it manually and when I download the transactions from my bank I now have two deposits. I thought I was supposed to be able to drag the bank version on top of my manually entered version (or vice versa) and the two would merge. I thought this is how Quicken for Mac "learned" the transaction. This happens every month and I have to delete the downloaded bank transaction. This behavior throws my balances off. This is just one example. It is a frequent occurrence with the bank checking and savings accounts. My bank is Wells Fargo and I am running Quicken for Mac 5.11.0 on Mojave 10.14.4. 

Best Answer

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, dragging and dropping is the correct way to match a manually entered transaction to a downloaded one. 

Transactions, however, can only be matched once-you can't match more than once. I do. I don't know if that is your situation, but it could be.

Also, make sure you have the manually entered transaction in the correct account. If you are looking at a global account view with multiple accounts intermixed, then you might not notice that the manually entered transaction is in the wrong account.
  • AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    I am in the correct account. Here is the situation - I have entered the manual transaction and when I download I notice that the bank has also downloaded a transaction. It has a different name (the bank has named it) but the same amount. In addition, my manual transaction and the bank transaction are checked blue (matched). So I am under the impression the bank has recognized a transaction. I try to drag one transaction over another but it does not merge (or learn). Do you think I should uncheck them both and then try to drag? Also, what exactly do you mean by it “can only be matched once?” Thank you so much for responding.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2019
    The blue check does not mean matched. It means cleared. It will probably help you to turn on the Matched Status column to see what's going on. Click menu View > Columns and enable Matched Status.

It sounds like there may have been two transactions downloaded. One matched to an existing transaction and one came in as new. If a downloaded transaction auto-matched to the wrong one, you can unmatched them by right-clicking on the transaction and choose Reject Automatic Transaction Match.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    Ok. Former Windows Quicken user here :). #learningcurve.  I’ll turn on that column. Could be a couple of days before I see another transaction. Thank you.

• AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    So, it happened today. Yesterday I entered a manual transaction for something I purchased from my checking account. Today the bank download matched (matched (auto)) the manual transaction and also downloaded a transaction. I cannot drag one over the other to keep the one I want. The only choice I have to get rid of the transaction marked "Downloaded" is to delete it. I do have a box checked in Preferences, Connected Services to "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" if that makes any difference. I want the manual transaction not the downloaded one.  It happens frequently enough to be annoying. I Here is a screen shot:

• AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Ok, I did discover something, but it is still a two step process and does not always work.  If I go in and reject the automatic transaction match I can then drag and drop. But in the case of the screen shot above it got even more complicated. The downloaded transaction was from PayPal. When I rejected the automatic transaction match I ended up with two dowloaded transactions as you an see from the following screen shot. I think until I can figure this out I'll just delete the downloaded transaction and keep my manual one.

• RickO
    This confirms what I suspected. Two copies of the transaction are downloading. One of them is matching and the other isn't (because only one download is allowed to match to a manual transaction). The problem, therefore, is not the matching, but is instead the duplicate downloaded transaction. 

Please let us know what bank this is with and what connection method (Quicken Connect or Direct Connect). That may help lead to an answer.

In any case, I think you should contact support and report that you're getting duplicate transactions downloaded. To really figure out what's going on will probably require digging into the log files, which is not something we can really help with easily here on the forum.

To contact support, click the Help link at the top of this page and scroll down to the blue banner.
  • AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Wells Fargo (no surprise here I do not believe WF is not very respectful of Quicken :). I know I was using Direct Connect when I was on the Windows version. We get charged $3/month. How do I find what kind of connection in the Mac version? (I did try searching and couldn't find an answer.)
  • RickO
    Open the account settings (menu Accounts > Settings...) and you'll see the connection type on the 3rd line from the top.

If it's Quicken Connect, you may want to consider using Direct Connect instead (even though as you say, WF charges monthly for this). For me personally, I won't do business with a bank that doesn't provide D/C for free. As Clark Howard says, I'm not a fan of the big monster mega banks.
  • AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    It is Direct Connect.

• AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all your help.
This discussion has been closed.