Bug in "Returns by Account" chart on my home page

mpmango
mpmango Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in Reports (Windows)
The chart labeled "Returns by Account" when placed onto my home page (it's just called "Returns" when selecting it for customization) does not display bars for each account that is selected to display.  The software appears to select / limit to only 5 or 6 accounts at random when I select more than this.  There is clearly more room to display additional bars in the chart.

When I choose to "Show Full Graph" I am able to select as many accounts as I want without issue.

How can I get this graph to display more than 6 accounts on my home page?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We cannot display more than 5 accounts in the Returns item on a Home tab view.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you add the snapshot more than once and select different accounts for each one?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mpmango
    mpmango Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock If it can't display more than 5, then why can I put 6 on it—but only sometimes, depending on which/how many accounts I select to display?

@mshiggins That's a great idea, and, YES I was able to do this!  It doesn't give me the Total IRR that I'm looking for (since the accounts are split across two snapshots,) but it certainly gets me much closer to what I want.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    mpmango said:
    @Sherlock If it can't display more than 5, then why can I put 6 on it—but only sometimes, depending on which/how many accounts I select to display?
    I've never been able to display more than 5 accounts on the Returns item so if you managed to display 6 you're more likely to know why than I am.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mpmango,

On that item, because the results are annualized, be sure to select a time period of at least one year for the display.

Instead of the default Year to date, you might want to pick last 12 months or Yearly/Current year for the date range, unless your assumption is that the year to date performance will continue for the rest of the year. It would be wonderful if that were the case for the rest of this year, but I wouldn't count on it!
    QWin Premier subscription
  • mpmango
    mpmango Member ✭✭
    Thanks, @Jim_Harman ... yes I am using "last 12 months" for the date range.
    I've reported this as a bug to Quicken.  This snapshot has been this way for many years and it really should not be limited to 5 or 6 accounts.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

From C. D. Bales:

"This snapshot has been this way for many years ...".

At least as far back as Q2004. I suspect for good reason.

" ... and it really should not be limited to 5 or 6 accounts."

How, exactly, did you determine that? If you know something that Quicken does not know, you should post that here.

Otherwise it seems to me this discussion should be changed to an IDEA (a "suggestion").

Perhaps Quicken could include all the "other" (undisplayed) selected accounts in a separate bar of their own. Don't know what value that would have; but at the least, it should preclude complaints that some accounts are not included in the snapshot.

[Note: the Home tab snapshot for Expenses can not come close to displaying pie slices or subtotals for all Categories. The individual categories that are not displayed in their own pie slice are included in an "Other" category. Some have complained, but I don't consider it a bug - and to my knowledge, no one has demonstrated that it is.]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.