Is there ANY WAY to get QUICKEN 2019 H&B to update OPTION prices?

I trade quite a few options. It's not unusual for me to have a hundred positions on at any time. It would be great if I could have quicken download the prices for them. I enter all my trades using the OCC standard, for example "IBM___190418P00123000" where "___" is space padding. I've tried every format I can think of, and QFW just will NOT download them. I'm starting to think they don't have support for this. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm seriously hoping they will fix the investing module to handle option trading correctly instead of having to "fudge" everything like share amounts, having to use short sale, cover short sale, etc. It would be nice if it handled options as seamlessly as it does stocks.

Thanks
Robert

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I suggest you specify the OCC standard with a single space in the ticker symbol:

After you've created the security, Quicken should be able to pull the historical quotes.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    That doesn't seem to work, either with 1 space after IBM or with 3.spaces as the OCC standard would dictate.

Quicken Help indicates that Option quotes are downloaded when you get quotes for the main company, but adding IBM to the security list doesn't seem to make any difference.

Is there some other trick?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I no longer trade options, but when I did, I downloaded the transactions from my brokerage (Morgan Stanley) instead of trying to enter them manually.  MS sent whatever they wanted as a symbol, and I left it alone. They also sent current prices.

My understanding is that Q doesn’t pull option quotes as it does stock quotes; either your brokerage sends them or it doesn’t.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh by the way, you may at some point hit Q’s limitation of 2000 “trackable stocks.” Q just isn’t built for high volume options trading.

https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    That doesn't seem to work, either with 1 space after IBM or with 3.spaces as the OCC standard would dictate.

Quicken Help indicates that Option quotes are downloaded when you get quotes for the main company, but adding IBM to the security list doesn't seem to make any difference.

Is there some other trick?
    @Jim_Harman:

It appears my earlier response didn't make it.  

There is no trick other than allowing Quicken to create the option.  

@Rocket J Squirrel: The third-party quote service has provided option quotes for over 4 years.

• rreineri
    rreineri Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    @Jim_Harman:

It appears my earlier response didn't make it.  

There is no trick other than allowing Quicken to create the option.  

What exactly do you mean by "There is no trick other than allowing Quicken to create the option. " ? I tried "Add Security" from the Security List (CTRL-Y), typed "IBM" in the text box, and no options show up as a choice for addition. the only thing that shows is the company stock, and a handful of ETF's.

I tried using one space. I tried the OCC standard. I tried adding the company. Download quotes is checked in the security list for both the company (IBM) and the option "IBM___190517P00135000" and no quotes download for the option.

If I could intrude on your time, the exact sequence you use to setup an option so it downloads would be most helpful. If I can get this working, it will improve my accuracy a lot. Right now, I simply don't update. The update occurs when I close the position. In between putting it on, and taking it off, totally inaccurate.

Any other ideas? Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Robert
  • rreineri
    rreineri Member ✭✭

Thank you very much! I was changing the NAME of option, but NEGLECTING the ticker symbol. Works like a champ!
    Robert
This discussion has been closed.