401k tracking and Fund X ray

Options
Deadeye
Deadeye Member ✭✭✭
My company just recently changed hands, and they have these funky "accounts" to invest in, they do not have market symbols. Ungh. I can download and track those, but no idea what is in their "funds" for fund x-ray than the top ten holdings they post. Seems to be close to index, but the worst part is the self directed brokerage for mutual funds thru Alight. The bulk of my investments are there, but I can only download from our corporate savings plan web site and it just shows a total. 

No details of the funds I've invested in, but the tracker in Alight is decent, I just can't run the fund X-ray on them, so I don't know if I'm duplicating or heavy in any sectors inside of Quicken, and not really sure how I will track dividends and gains. 

Any ideas? I've got all the tickers on my watch list. I think I'm going to have to manually load them into a screener to find out. 

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    My experience with 401k brokerage windows is that the holdings and transactions in those accounts don't download to Quicken. If the funds inside the brokerage account are publicly traded, you can enter them manually in Quicken (make sure the tickers are correct) and the X-Ray should be able to include them in its analysis.

Tracking a portfolio in Morningstar to get full performance information is labor intensive because you have to enter all the transactions manually, but you can get a lot of useful information.

If all you want is an expanded version of the X-Ray for asset allocation and stock intersection analysis and you have the actual holdings in Quicken, you can export your portfolio from Quicken and import it to Morningstar as described here
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/19068351#Comment_19068351

You can get a free trial subscription to Morningstar Premium and try it out.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Options
    Unfortunately the X-Ray only analyzes funds that are in Morningstar's database. Thus securities that are not publicly traded are generally not included in the X-Ray analysis.
  • Deadeye
    Deadeye Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Jim, Perhaps I wasn't concise enough, I felt like I was rambling though. 

The 401k through work has it's own "funds" inside that it lists the brokerage account in which I've purchased active existing mutual finds, but only the total of that account, which is at Alight Financial but I know if I enter that data in Quicken I will duplicate the brokerage account. Pretty sure I'd have to do manual updates I don't see anything about using Quicken. 

I don't think the X ray is capturing or showing all the data I have as is. I think the solution is an account on Morningstar to track that, and I've done a simulation in T. Rowe Price that gives me an idea. There are 4 stocks it seems every single mutual fund has. :/  they don't show up in the top 10? 

I've got a dozen stocks in Drip plans, 8 mutual funds, Thrift Savings Plan and the 401k with 4 "funds" plus brokerage account (where I can only trade mutual funds and but not bond funds?) where I have 11 funds. I know it sounds like a lot but I've got a decent diversification. 

Google, Apple, Microsoft and Amazon don't show up in the top ten holdings. They should across all that? 
  • Jim_Harman
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    My experience with 401k brokerage windows is that the holdings and transactions in those accounts don't download to Quicken. If the funds inside the brokerage account are publicly traded, you can enter them manually in Quicken (make sure the tickers are correct) and the X-Ray should be able to include them in its analysis.

Tracking a portfolio in Morningstar to get full performance information is labor intensive because you have to enter all the transactions manually, but you can get a lot of useful information.

If all you want is an expanded version of the X-Ray for asset allocation and stock intersection analysis and you have the actual holdings in Quicken, you can export your portfolio from Quicken and import it to Morningstar as described here
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/19068351#Comment_19068351

You can get a free trial subscription to Morningstar Premium and try it out.
  • Deadeye
    Deadeye Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Great link Jim! Thanks that will help. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    Note that even with all the securities entered in Quicken, there are limitations to Morningstar's analysis. It will ignore funds that are not publicly traded and also any money in a stable value fund.
  • titanrx8
    titanrx8 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Deadeye, some of those 401k mutual funds are quite "invisible", especially if you work for a really large company where the investment firms either create custom funds or privately label existing offerings with a different name for your company. Personally, I've given up on the notion of getting a really solid x-ray but have to settle for acceptable.

Recently moved into several "fund-of-fund" positions and the disclosures reveal the top 10 of the highest level fund and the top 10 of the underlying funds. Even in these fund-of-funds there are tremendous overlaps, especially right within the top 10s. I've resigned myself to having to have faith in the management of the fund-of-funds which operates as a US sector tracking strategy and keeps each sector within a 3% +/- range of the sector rank.
This discussion has been closed.