I am attempting to enter a stock purchase. I am getting "resulting amount too big...."

I have reviewed the number of shares, the purchase price, the commission, etc. and all is as it should be.  This is a purchase not a sell, why would I get this message?

Answers

• K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    Can you provide a screenshot of what you are seeing and the transaction you are trying to enter?
  • Vaa
    Vaa Member ✭✭
    Are you part of Quicken or another user in the community?
  • Vaa
    Vaa Member ✭✭
    Here is the exact quote from the error message:
    "The resulting value is too big. Please enter it as more than one transaction".
    I have been using quicken from the start and never encountered this message.
  • K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a superuser for Quicken.  I do a lot of investing so I'm very familiar with the investing functionality in Quicken.  Can you post the screen shot with what you are trying to type in.  Not that I don't believe that you typed in the error message correctly but I may be able to see something in the transaction or way you are entering it that will give me an idea of what might be happening.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Vaa said:
    Are you part of Quicken or another user in the community?
    I suggest you review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849427/whos-who-on-the-community

Vaa said:
    Here is the exact quote from the error message:
    "The resulting value is too big. Please enter it as more than one transaction".
    I have been using quicken from the start and never encountered this message.
    The message implies the transaction would exceeds 99,999,999.99 dollars or shares:
     https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849427/whos-who-on-the-community

If that isn't true, I suggest you review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps, is the currency in the investment account NOT US or Cdn dollars?  Is it, perhaps, a currency where thousands of the currency = 1 USD?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Vaa
    Vaa Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the replies.  I have found and resolved the problem.  I have over 100 investment accounts and I reconcile every one of them, and have done so for decades so I think that might classify me as a super quicken user as well.  Just for your archives: The problem was with a previous sell and the lots were not allocated properly by quicken.  I had to go in and manually reallocate from a previous sell.  Oddly, even though there were enough shares to sell if the shares not allocated correctly it will put a glitch in future buys and sells.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your reply makes no sense.  If there's X number of shares of the security, and you want to sell that exact number ... then the "lots" shouldn't impact anything.  No matter what the amount in each lot, or the number of lots, there's still X shares available to sell.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Vaa
    Vaa Member ✭✭
    Whether it makes sense to you or not doesn't matter.  It worked and that in itself should tell you there is a bug in the program.  By the way, I do agree it "shouldn't" matter regarding lots, but it did.
This discussion has been closed.