Checking & Debt Transfers Impact on Category Summary Report

Options
I hope I can communicate this properly. I am having trouble making my Category Summary Report read properly in the Credit Card section. It shows the Checking transaction as a negative. But then there is another line for the same Credit Card Company showing the same amount as a positive (so they are washing each other for my overall total paid out). Not sure what step I am doing wrong so I will explain what I do.

Should I "NOT" be changing the "Category" column in my Checking Account to "Transfer: Credit Card Payment"?

Thanks in advance for any advice. It is probably something so simple that I am confusing.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello Kevinweid,

Thank you for taking the time to come to the Community with your issue.

To answer your question, No. You don't want to use the Category Transfer: Credit Card Payment.

Quicken doesn't understand that this is a transfer it's regarding this a transaction with the category transfer.

The first transaction shows the Transfer: Credit Card Payment, this shows up under Money Out on the Report.

What you want to be doing is the second transaction.  The category should say Transfer: [*name of the account where the money is going*]

This will show these transfer transactions on the bottom of the report under other.

Hope this helps!

Let us know if you need any further clarification!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • kevinweid
    kevinweid Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @Quicken_Tyka thank you for the quick reply but it appears that it's me that's a little slow with figuring out what I am doing or not doing here. I attached a small screen shot of just a portion of the Category Summary Report. As you can see it is just positives and negatives. I am sorry that I can wrap my head around what I am or not doing wrong.

Thanks & Sorry again
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello Kevinweid,

Thank you for the response and no worries!

The changes need to be made in the register, to the category of the transaction.

In the category field, type the word "Transfer" and this will pull up a list of all the accounts that can be transferred to.

This will create a linked transfer.  Linked transfer show different in the report.

I would try this with one transaction to see if you are able to see the difference in the report.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.