Problem entering a financial transaction.

In January 2019 Dell Technologies (DVMT) was exchanged for a new issue of Dell stock (DELL).  Quicken will not recognize the transaction when I try to enter the information.  I successfully created a new security (DELL), but when I try to enter the transaction, it will not accept it.  The transaction tries to default to the old company (DVMT).  Can anyone offer a solution?

Best Answer

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about using this discussion -- https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/19935763
    Add to it with specifics of your case which are lacking; like what "transaction" are you trying to enter and what Quicken you are using.
  • Loren
    Loren Member ✭✭
    q_lurker, thanks for your response.  
    I clicked on your link.  That discussion concerned stock ratios, DVMT to DELL right after the merger in January.  My issue is completely different.  It does not matter if I try to input a merger or a direct buy of DELL, the system will not accept a transaction with DELL  shares.  It will accept a transaction, but then report them as DVMT shares (not DELL) shares.  As I mentioned, I set up DELL as a new security, but the system will not report transactions in those shares. 

I am running Quicken Premier 2017 on a MacBook Pro with VM Ware Fusion 5 software which facilitates running Windows on a Mac.
  • Loren
    Loren Member ✭✭

q_lurker, on second look, I believe the real issue here is that the system will not add DELL to the security list.  When I try to add it, the system looks up the stock in the normal way, but it will not add DELL to the security list.  

I have been using Quicken to follow stocks for about 20 years, so I have plenty of experience adding securities to the list.  

This is running on Windows 7 (Quicken Premier 2017)

Sorry for the confusion earlier. 
  • Loren
    Loren Member ✭✭
    q_lurker, thanks so much....you identified the issue.  I created a new security manually (no down load from Quicken) and called it New Dell with ticker DELL, and the system accepted the security and the transaction.  I appreciate your help. 
  • Loren
    Loren Member ✭✭
    q_lurker, could you check out my other post and see if you have a solution to this issue with returns reported on my portfolio report?  Link to the post here:https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7739081/portfolio-view-errors-stock-returns-off-or-missing#latest
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loren said:
    q_lurker, could you check out my other post and see if you have a solution to this issue with returns reported on my portfolio report?  Link to the post here:https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7739081/portfolio-view-errors-stock-returns-off-or-missing#latest
    Sorry.  I've got nothing to add there.  Seeing the same basic issue with almost all stocks and some MFs.  I've been keeping an eye on it and may try to add something later if I can.  
  • Loren
    Loren Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the response.  I had no idea this issue may be universal?
This discussion has been closed.