Foreign security reporting how to get value of just certain foreign stocks

Options
In Canada at tax time now we have two foreign holdings reports to file.

The first is income from all foreign holdings for the year.  I was able to get this done by going back to every transaction and adding the word "foreign" as a tag.  I then could run a report for all "Foreign" tags for "Last year" and get the totals needed. Unfortunately Q doesn't let you save the report to PDF and when I sent the .csv to my accountant he was unhappy.  So I moved the report by .csv to a spreadsheet, played with it a bit to make it look pretty and so got it done.  Quite a pain, but doable.

The second report the gov requires is a monthly value of the foreign holdings over the year.   The only report that I could find in QM that shows values (not transactions) is the Net Worth report. It allows you to select an account but the TAGs are greyed out. SO the best you can do is get the value of the whole account, not the foreign files you need.  This might sound like it's not a problem in the US funds account, but even there, there are several holdings that are Canadian but denominated in US funds which I cannot figure out how to omit from a report. And on the Canadian side there are several companies with a foreign HO that trade in CAN funds, like most of the Brookfield stocks  

Any ideas to get this done?

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you're only referring to securities here then the reporting is trivial.  You simply run an "Investing" > "Investment Income" report limiting the securities selected to the "foreign holding" ones.  Do likewise for your monthly value report buy using the "Investments" > "Portfolio Value" report, again with only the "foreign holdings" securities.  Any "Investing" report - transactional or balances - can be filtered to to securities to be included or excluded as well as the Accounts to be included or excluded. 

If you're running Windows then "Microsoft print to PDF"

should be available to you.  You go to print you select "Microsoft print to PDF", give it a file name, and the report you're printing will we in PDF form.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The OP identifies this issues in "QM" -> QMac, not QWin.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Stephen Fisher
    Stephen Fisher Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no "investing" menu for reports of any kind that I can find in QM
This discussion has been closed.