Recurring Payments

How can you change the value of one recurring payment w/o being forced to edit all future payments?

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is quicken actually originating those payments ... or simply recording them?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• BTL2020
    BTL2020 Member
    Perhaps I could have been clearer in my question by using Quicken terms rather than my bank's terms.  What I'm trying to resolve is changing a single "bill" (as in Quicken's "Bills & Income" tab) which is set up to automatically record in Quicken on the same day every month.  If I need to change just one of the bills for some reason, It seems to me that Quicken forces me to change all subsequent bills.  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You didn't answer my question ... but I'm going to take a stab at this anyway.
    Simply record the item ... and then change it in the account register.

• BTL2020
    BTL2020 Member
    I guess we're not communicating on the same wavelength.   If I try to change a recurring bill in the register, Quicken gives me three choices: (1) Mark as paid; (2) Skip this instance; or (3) Edit this and future transactions.  It does not give me the option to edit just one instance of the recurring transaction without changing any future transactions.  Sorry if I didn't answer your original question but I didn't understand it.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My original question, restated, is:
    Is Q sending instructions to your bank to cause these payments to happen ...
    OR, have you previously set up the payments with the bank, and Q is merely recording them when they happen?

• BTL2020
    BTL2020 Member
    Thanks for your input.  I am new to this version of Quicken and still do everything manually.  So I have no direct link between my program and my bank.  But I'm always surprised how somethings that used to be easy now require a different approach to resolving.  This was one of those things that initially frustrated me.  I now have a workaround, if I can remember to use it.
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    There in another solution to this problem of "change the value of one recurring payment".

It is a bit messy, but solves the problem of wanting to enter the changed value now without marking the transaction Paid before its time.

Steps:
    1. In the account where the transaction will be recorded (not in the Bills & Income tab), go to (Edit) Settings... and under Scheduled Transactions, enable either Show the next occurrence ... or Show all occurrences ...
    2. Find the recurring payment in the account register. It will have a clock face icon in the status column and have a current or future date. There will be a blue dividing line between a) current and past date transactions, and b) future (scheduled) transactions.
    3. Duplicate the recurring payment transaction.
    4. For one of the duplicated transactions, either a) Click on the Status Icon or b) Right-Click on the transaction, and then in the pop-up menu choose Skip this Instance. This scheduled transaction will now disappear from its current location, but will be present at the date of its next occurance.
    5. Edit the other recurring payment transaction: a) in the Schedule pop-up, change the setting Ends: to after 1 times; b) Change the Amount of this one-time scheduled transaction.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
This discussion has been closed.