How to enter a negative dividend? (Q Mac Canada)

Ce K
Ce K Member ✭✭
How can I enter a yearend negative dividend, offset by return of capital in Box 42 of T3? (Canada, Version 5.11.0 Build 511.25626.100) MacOS 10.14.3)
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Ce K
    Ce K Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, J_Mike. I appreciate your two workarounds, and have used one.Too bad Quicken closed off the negative in doing the entry the way I'd prefer. You'd think Quicken would have kept it available with a simple confirmation and/or match with a ROC.
  • Ce K
    Ce K Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    q_lurker
    Thanks for the suggestion of using an existing category for the second entry. I'm in QMac and no relevant category shows like _DivInc  so I've created my own. 

Answers

• Ce K
    Ce K Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, J_Mike. I appreciate your two workarounds, and have used one.Too bad Quicken closed off the negative in doing the entry the way I'd prefer. You'd think Quicken would have kept it available with a simple confirmation and/or match with a ROC.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I believe Q-Win has the same restriction.  My policy has been to use the MiscExp transaction with the category assignment of _DivInc.  I don't see the need for a separate category within QWin.  

So my pairing for these recategorizations becomes a RtrnCap followed by a MiscExp.  The first adds cash to the account; the second spends that cash.  The second also reduces the total dividend total for the year for that security.  
  • Ce K
    Ce K Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    q_lurker
    Thanks for the suggestion of using an existing category for the second entry. I'm in QMac and no relevant category shows like _DivInc  so I've created my own. 
  • Stephen Fisher
    Stephen Fisher Member ✭✭✭
    Please put in a request to revive the ability to put in negatives. I did it from the 80s thru 2017. Why do they do this to us.  BTW, the work around failed on my report for tax time because as you point out, there are scenarios where the report shows more dividends than were actually received.
  • Ce K
    Ce K Member ✭✭
    @Stephen Fisher
    I found and voted for the fix (March 9) in Product Ideas.
    Not sure what else I can do to request it.
This discussion has been closed.