Quicken web app causing Password lockout/reset requests at Bank of America

We have had the same exact problem as this thread: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7086878/how-can-i-stop-quicken-from-trying-to-access-my-bank-account-in-the-background

My wife is the primary Quicken user and has all of our BOA accounts in her profile, at BOA website and Quicken. Ever since she upgraded to the subscription model and installed the new app in late April, her BOA profile gets locked out, very frequently, sometimes every night. We can reset the PW at bank website, then go into desktop Quicken and change it there and everything seems to work fine for a day.

We think we have narrowed the issue down to Quicken on the Web, and our phone apps, where it will say something like "You have 4 accounts that need your attention" I THINK WHAT IS HAPPENING IS THIS: Any time our phone apps or Quicken on the Web opens and tries to connect it fails, locking the account. I have looked everywhere on how to disable Quicken on the Web and phone apps from trying to connect but cannot find it. Because we are very mobile, we are using the web based almost more than the desktop these days, and log in from 2 phones, 2 tablets, and possibly 2 PCs. (As well as having Quicken desktop on our main home PC)

PLEASE CAN YOU HELP US? I WAS NEAR A MAJOR MELTDOWN ONE DAY THIS WEEK TRYING TO MAKE IT STOP. I WAS CAUGHT IN A CIRCULAR PROCESS OF CHANGING THE PASSWORD ONLY TO GET LOCKED OUT AGAIN, PROBABLY 4-5 TIMES IN A ROW. I TRIED GETTING HELP AT BOA, BUT THEY CONTINUE TO INSIST THEY DON'T SUPPORT QUICKEN ISSUES, AND THIS IS A QUICKEN SUPPORT PROBLEM.

She has tried going through steps with support chat, but nothing they have tried has permanently resolved the issue. It recurrs.
7:14AM

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello rewjr,

Are you using the Windows or Mac platform on the desktop?

What connection method are you using to connect to Bank of America?

For Windows
    1. Click on Tools > Account List.
    2. Click on Edit.
    3. On the Account Details dialog box, go to Online Services tab.
    For Mac

1. Select the account on the left-hand side
    2. Go to Setting in the bottom right-hand corner
    Please let us know!
    ~~~***~~~
  • rewjr
    rewjr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Windows 10 - so it was still on Web Express, I changed it to Direct Connect.  It is now taking a very long time to update the accounts.  

I wish that Quicken had made this transition simpler by sending out a detailed instruction letter or better yet a video, explaining the change and how to get it set up.  How ridiculous it is that it's taken 5 days of frustration to get to this point, and I'm still not sure it's going to work on all of our accounts.  There were 2 credit card accounts (at the same bank) that it indicated were not available for direct connect.  In this process I've also discovered that some of our accounts are under BOA-Quicken, and these two credit cards are under BOA - All except CA.  And it used to be they were all under BOA - All other States.  

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the Add Account Settings to Update the Accounts with a big green spinning wheel.  

Have to sign off now, and attend to other matters.  I'll post back here later today to update our progress.  

What a nightmare this has been.  
  • rewjr
    rewjr Member ✭✭
    So yes, I was able to fix our problems.  I will try to outline the steps taken, should some poor unfortunate soul find themselves looking for the answer, and stumble upon this post:  

1. Go to the Mobile and Web tab, click the Settings Gear and DESELECT ALL YOUR ACCOUNTS TO BREAK THE LINK WITH ALL WEB APPS AND YOUR DESKTOP! 
    We will re-select the accounts you want after getting everything else to work

2. As stated above, Go to Tools > Account List and check to see under TRANSACTION DOWNLOAD COLUMN that accounts all say Yes (Direct Connect);  if they do not, then click the EDIT button to left of that column, click the Online Services Tab, and click the link to Change connection method to Direct Connect; ( you can also choose automatic transaction entry, and reconcile using online balance, if you wish)

3. You will then need to re-enter your Bank website password, and it will connect and bring up all the accounts you have at your bank.  From there, you need to "Match" the bank's accounts, with your existing accounts in the Quicken desktop software.

4. Then when you click OK, the software will match up and reset all those accounts, upload, and download transactions for all the accounts.  This will take a while (4-5 minutes for us)

5. Once that is complete try a "One Step Update", and it should connect and match up everything.  You will probably need to match and clear a few transactions to get reconciled, in our case it reconciled rather easily.  

6. NOW, go back to Mobile & Web Tab in Quicken Desktop, click the Settings Gear under Enable Accounts, click off all the accounts that you want to be able to manage from Quicken on the Web or your Mobile Quicken App.  It will run a sync for a little while, and everything should be good to go.

This discussion has been closed.