Starting a budget with no previous year amounts

I can't figure out how to create a budget with NO previous year data. I want to start at January 1, 2019 as a starting date with no history. Am I missing something?

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @mezzeta

Thank you for taking the time to share your question with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

When creating a Budget, Quicken for Mac, as a default, will automatically gather your last 12 months of transaction data and build the budget based off the data in your Quicken file.

Once the Budget has been created, it may be edited to add/remove categories and budget values.  More information is also available at https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-mac-12-month-budget-overview-and-getting-started.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:
    I'm a Quicken for Windows user, so what I do may not work in the Mac version.

I started by telling Quicken to create a New budget - which comes with amounts computed from pervious period's actual transactions.

I edited that budget to remove all categories. I named that budget "Empty Budget".

Now when I want to create a new budget with "no previous year amounts", I do this:

- Open "Empty Budget"
    - Copy "Empty Budget" to a new budget
    - Give the new budget a name of my choice
    - Customize the new budget to include desired categories
    - Assign budget amounts to selected categories as necessary

I never actually use "Empty Budget", it stays permanently empty: it's only used to create a new duplicate empty budget.

[You could use one or more variations on that theme to create various beginning budgets with certain categories selected, but no amounts included.]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.