cannot change where to record the proceeds of an investment sale

Options
When selling an investment in a tax deferred account the proceeds will only go to the cash account of the account that's set up.  On the transaction window the "record proceeds" area is grayed out and won't let me make any changes.  How can I change this to allow me to change where the sale funds go?  

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Quicken limits the types of transactions we may use to transfer cash to or from IRA accounts so it may track to the the annual contributions associated with the account.  I suggest you enter the sale (Sold action) transaction and use a withdrawal (WithdrwX action) transaction to transfer the funds. 
  • clejohn
    clejohn Member
    Options
    So I did a sale of the IRA and the proceeds now show up as cash under the IRA account name in the "Investing"  tab list of accounts.  I can't see any way to do any transactions with the cash.  If I go to the IRA account I do not see a "withdrwXaction" transaction in the list of dropdown transaction types. Searched for WithdrwXaction in help and was not found.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Options
    clejohn said:
    So I did a sale of the IRA and the proceeds now show up as cash under the IRA account name in the "Investing"  tab list of accounts.  I can't see any way to do any transactions with the cash.  If I go to the IRA account I do not see a "withdrwXaction" transaction in the list of dropdown transaction types. Searched for WithdrwXaction in help and was not found.
    The investment account action is WithdrwX.  

If you prefer to use the investment account wizard, select Enter Transactions and select Withdraw from the Enter transaction: pull-down menu.  For the category, select the destination account in brackets.

Alternately, you may initiate the transfer from the destination account.  For example, press Ctrl + Shift + T.
  • clejohn
    clejohn Member
    Options
    I can't find how to display that list of transactions.  I'm using Quicken - Deluxe. Could you have a different Quicken version possibly?  Thanks
This discussion has been closed.