How to reconcile downloaded transactions with already entered ones via Quicken Mobile

DharmaJay
DharmaJay Member ✭✭
I am using the latest Quicken product for MacOS.  I am also using Quicken on my iOS devices for reviewing the budget I set up and quick data entry for receipts that I capture, so my running budget is up-to-date.

Since transactions are not typically posted right away, and aren’t available to download until they do, I have to either wait for them to post to have up-to-date budget information (e.g., answering the question “how much money do I have left for groceries” before going to the store), or enter receipts via my iOS device so I can get that information quickly. 

When I enter receipts for purchases on my iOS device so I may have access to remaining budget information quickly, then, later, the same transactions are downloaded from the bank, Quicken does not detect the previously entered transaction.  I was hoping to see an attempt to reconcile matching of existing and downloaded transactions, but since it doesn’t, there are duplicate entries.  

Is there at way to enable the MacOS version of Quicken to check for possible matches when it downloads transactions before it enters them?  Should it be automatically detecting possible similar entries by transaction date and amount?

Best Answer

Answers

• SSteve
    SSteve Member ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering the same thing. I finally switched over from Quicken 2007 which had a separate download window which you could use to match downloaded transactions with manually-entered transactions. Now it seems like Quicken 2019 downloads transactions directly into the register and duplicates manually-entered transactions. I hope there's a way around this.
  • Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    Open the account you want to work with. Click the Downloaded Transactions tab. If you'd like, you can click the column headings to sort the transactions. Quicken assigns a Status to each downloaded transaction:
    •   For transactions marked New

A status of New means that Quicken did not find a match for the downloaded transaction in the register.

• To enter the downloaded transaction in the register, click Accept.
      • If the downloaded transaction should be matched to a register transaction, click the Edit button, and then choose Match Manually. Quicken opens a window to allow you to select one or more transactions to match the transaction with. If you select more than one transaction, Quicken enters a split transaction in your account register with a single line for each selected transaction and a line for the difference in amounts, if any.
  • DharmaJay
    DharmaJay Member ✭✭
    @Valderi

That sounds like the experience I had when I used to use Quicken on Windows.  I've been using a Mac now for years and am not seeing what you described.  The illustration here shows a duplicate entry.

Can you confirm if you're referring to the MacOS version of Quicken?

Thanks.
    Jason
  • Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Home & Business for Windows R16.22 Canadian version. I Simply paste the inscructions. Sory!
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello DharmaJay. Appreciate your question.

If you are receiving those duplicate transactions, you should be able to take the downloaded transaction (either one) and drag it on top of the other record and they should combine as one transaction..

Hope this helps, please let us know if you have any other questions.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • DharmaJay
    DharmaJay Member ✭✭
    Hi Harold,

Thanks for the tip.  The drag and drop onto the duplicate appears to have eliminated the duplicate, but will I have to do this every time?  Will this also work if I manually enter a receipt in Quicken on iOS, then the duplicate transaction is downloaded when it posts from the credit card?

Thanks.
    Jason

This discussion has been closed.