How to create a wallet with actions on Quicken 2017 for Macintosh?

I just installed Quicken 2017 for Macintosh on my computer and I can not create a portfolio. I would like to know how. Thank you for your attention.

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Topshape,

In regards to Quicken for Mac, the only portfolio option would be in reference to a brokerage account.

Can you provide some more information on what you are needing?

What actions are you looking to be able to do?

Please let us know!
    ~~~***~~~
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you new to Quicken Mac (2015 and newer)?

Welcome.

Getting Started with Quicken for Mac
    https://www.quicken.com/complete-guide-getting-started-quicken-2018-mac https://www.quicken.com/quicken-tips with links to more information and videos

If you haven't done so already, please review these videos for more information about Quicken Mac
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac/videos

Help! (Quicken Mac)

Click Help / Quicken Help for additional help on Quicken functions and features.

• Topshape
    Topshape Member ✭✭
    I wish I could do the same thing I was doing with Quicken 2007. Here is an image that I hope you will see.
  • Topshape
    Topshape Member ✭✭

I want to be able to build my portfolio with all the shares of companies that I own.
  • Topshape
    Topshape Member ✭✭
    I surround here the portfolio of which I speak.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Topshape,

Thank you for including a screenshot!

The new version of Quicken has a portfolio view. When selecting 'Investing' this will include all of the information for all brokerage accounts.

The portfolio view pulls this information in from the transactions on the accounts so information can't be directly added to this screen.

I would see if this will show you what you need.
    ~~~***~~~
  • Topshape
    Topshape Member ✭✭
    I can not have the same configuration as you.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for including the screenshot.

The first step would be to add an investment account.

To add an account click on the + by the word accounts then choose brokerage.

You can either download transactions from the bank or enter them manually.

To download transactions search for the name of the financial institution and sign in.

To add a manual account, select 'Option' on the bank list and choose to enter transactions manually.

The portfolio view will be empty until there is a brokerage account with transactions entered.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to add securities that are held without tracking them in an account.
    ~~~***~~~
  • Topshape
    Topshape Member ✭✭
    OK, now how to enter one at a time all actions (stock) in order to follow up. Example: how to enter
    APPLE INC (AAPL) with market value and purchase value. Thank you.
  • Topshape
    Topshape Member ✭✭
    I have just found how to mount my wallet. Thanks a lot for your help.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Topshape,

You will want to go to the 'Transactions' tab on top of the graph.

One option, which is what I do. Is to enter 'Add Shares' Transactions for each holding.

To add a new transaction, go to the + at the bottom.

Change the type to add shares and then fill out the transaction, i.e. the security, total cost.

The total cost would be the cost for all of the shares that you are currently holding and then Quicken calculates the cost per share.
    ~~~***~~~
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't you or didn't you use the same data file as you had before?  Are you starting over with a new file?  You might be able to open your existing file or convert it.  You said you had Quicken 2007.  Windows or Mac?  I don't know Mac.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Topshape
    Topshape Member ✭✭
    Yes I used Quicken 2007, but I can not import the data because they are corrupted. I have to start again. Thanks for your advice.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Topshape are you saying that you cannot open the QM2007 data file at all or is it that only the investment data is corrupted or are you getting some kind of error when trying to import the QM2007 data?

Not wanting to give false hope but there are possible fixes to some of these situations.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Topshape
    Topshape Member ✭✭
    I am very touched by your interest in trying to help me in this situation. I do not know what happened, but I was working with only one security copy in iCloud. I changed my ID at Apple, and everything corrupted my data Quicken 2007. So I have to start from scratch with Quicken 2017. For some time also, Quicken 2007 told me he could not make backup by finishing the session. I thank you for your eagerness and ask you to accept my most distinguished greetings. Thank you.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you have multiple issues going on. What version of macOS are you using?

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Topshape
    Topshape Member ✭✭
    I use 10.14.5

• Topshape
    Topshape Member ✭✭
    How to configure
    APPLE INC with its AAPL symbol
    Thank you for your attention.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Topshape said:
    I use 10.14.5

Because of the version of macOS you are using, it is a known issue that the built-in automatic backup in QM2007 does not work if the data is stored on the any drive that has the new APFS drive format (which the main drive is automatically converted to). The simple solution would be to turn off automatic backups. Of course, any backups created would be corrupt but this does not affect the main/original data file.

That said, ANY version of Quicken is not compatible with iCloud backups. Saving your Quicken data file in a folder backed up by iCloud (e.g. the Documents folder is backed up by default) can eventually cause the main/original data file to get corrupted. So it is important to save the data file elsewhere or turn off iCloud backup completely or at least of the folder in which the Quicken data file is saved.

If your main data file is corrupted such that you can no longer open it, then you have to resort to another backup, either an older valid Quicken backup file or some other backup, such as, Time Machine. So, if you no longer have access to a valid QM2007 data file, be sure to protect any new Quicken data file too.

• Topshape
    Topshape Member ✭✭
    I thank you very much for the information that I take preciously in note. Now, can you tell me how to configure
    APPLE INC with its AAPL symbol
    Thank you for your attention.

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Topshape,

To create a new security, go to Window > Securities.

You will then select the + in the bottom left-hand corner this will open the new security screen below.

You can then enter the name of the security.

You will then want to go to the Price History Tab and chose Options and then Rebuild History to download the quotes for the security.

Once this is complete, you will be able to select this security when creating a transaction.

Hope this helps!
    ~~~***~~~
  • Topshape
    Topshape Member ✭✭
    YES, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you very much, it's very kind of you and very much appreciated by me.
  • Topshape
    Topshape Member ✭✭
    I do not understand how to get today's market price. I still do not understand how the stock works. Thank you.
  • Topshape
    Topshape Member ✭✭
    How to find the same things in quicken 2017 as Quicken 2007?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Topshape,

In the 2019 version action is called 'Type' this can be found when creating a new transaction. Unfortunately, the 2019 version doesn't have all of the options that the 2007 version does just yet.

By "Today's Market Price" do you mean the market value?  Or are the current price of specific stock?
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.