Category Summary Report

kevinweid
kevinweid Member ✭✭
Hi everyone, quick question that I even feel dumb for not being able to fix. But why does my "Gas & Fuel" category show up as in "Money In"? The transactions are all there and correct showing negative. But shouldn't it be under the "Money Out" section?
I am attempting to attach an image of my "Money In / Auto & Transportation" section....

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Either the category is set as an Income category (rather than expense), or you have transactions where the amount is positive instead of negative for that category.

Also, try using the New Report > Transaction Report rather than Category Summary. It is much improved.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • kevinweid
    kevinweid Member ✭✭
    RickO...thank you for your reply so quickly. I double checked and they appear to be all "negatives & in red". Also I attached a screen shot showing that it should be set as an expense. As for the New Report > Transaction Report I quickly looked at that and appears that I have to go through a set up for it at this point.

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    RickO wrote;
    ".... or you have transactions where the amount is positive instead of negative for that category."
    That appears to be the case here. Note that the subcategory, Auto Payment, is positive (a credit) and that the total for the parent category, Auto & Transport, is thus positive. Mac is looking a the positive value for the parent category and treating it as Money In.

Question to OP - shouldn't the Auto Payment be a debit (expense)? - or was this instance a special occassion?
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    kevinweid said:
    As for the New Report > Transaction Report I quickly looked at that and appears that I have to go through a set up for it at this point.

The New Report is not hard to use and once you set it up, it is remembered for future use. I suggest you try that and see if it reports correctly.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • kevinweid
    kevinweid Member ✭✭

Question to OP - shouldn't the Auto Payment be a debit (expense)? - or was this instance a special occassion?
    Hmm, That positive "Bank of the West" is a auto loan setup under the Debt column on the left side bar. Now in order to decrease that account I have to enter it as a positive amount with in that register. I am thinking that I don't have something setup right with having it under "Property & Debt"? 

I had to manually set that auto loan account up and it does not pull information from that institute. So is it best to just delete it and not show it as Debt and let the transactions come in from Checking and tag them as "Auto Payment"? I had attempted to do it this way so I could visually see the amount of the loan on the left side.

This discussion has been closed.